Type R engine variations

MikeRL411

The 1600 cc Type R engine comes in [at least] 4 varieties, not all of which are identical and some of which interchange with difficulty [mostly due to sedan peculiar unique and unobtainable parts].

1) The original 3 main bearing all SAE fastener version used in the early SP310 roadster.

2) The modified early roadster 3 main bearing SAE engine with a modified cast aluminum oil pan flared and finned to fill the area between the 411 front end cross member and the transmission. Engine serial numbers begin with 2xxx. In order to squeeze into the 411 engine compartment, the crankshaft pulley was shortened 1 inch, alternator bracket was moved back 1 inch and the water pump was modified. The pump shaft was shortened 1 inch, the fan spinner modified into a "bell shape" with a much larger fan mounting bolt circle and a new pulley designed to match up with the new crankshaft and alternator pulley locations was fitted. The fan is unique. It is a riveted assembly, not a two blade / solid center ring like the roadster. The thermostat housing is also diferent, it points to the right front. No replacement is available, but a Kia Sephia housing is a virtual clone and fits perfectly.

3) The late roadster 5 main bearing all metric fastener engine for the roadster. Externally similar to the early roadster engine. Engine numbers start with 4xxx. Most internal parts are listed [when you can find the list] as preferred substitutes for rebuilding both previously mentioned SAE enginesl Therefore they are usually stocked out. The original SAE parts are usually still in stock since everybody has been ordering the "preferred" parts, so ask the counter person to check the original part number when the "stocked out" flag appears. Pulleys, alternator mounts and waterpumps are interchangeable with the original but you will find that the tapped holes for the fan are 6millimeter, not 1/4 inch. By the way the NISMO catalog offers a 2 liter stroker conversion for this engine.

4) The 1600 forklift engine. I have not crawled over one of these but as a pure guess I would say this is where you would likely fine engine numbers starting with 3xxx, and would most likely be 5 main bearing metric engines for long life in the warehouse.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on. When I type too fast I get "half fast" and mess up the numbers. All [to use USA nomenclature] SPL310 had 1500cc Type G engines. SPL311 from chassis SPL311-10001 had SAE 1600 type R engines until September 1967. From chassis SPL311-11001 and engine number R-40001 the 1600cc 5 main bearing metric type R was used. In June 1969 the last SPL411 [apparently SPL311-27000] was built. Don't know serial number ranges for JDM and right hand drive versions. The SRL series was the 2 liter U20 [an over head cam head grafted on to a modified type R block] car. I also have information that the SAE type R was used in the JDM Silvia coupe CSP311 from 1964 to 1968. Are there any owners out there that can verify this and give vehicle engine serial number ranges? I don't know if any of these made their way stateside or to Canada.

• 2 weeks later...
"Type-R" is a Honda thing

"G-series" or (R-series engine) would be a better title but we get the point.

The Datsun G series has an cast iron head and 1500cc nominal displacement. The Datsun R series engine has a nominal 1600cc displacement due to a larger bore and has an aluminium head. They bear an "R" prefix to the engine number and are a separate [and genuinely] distinct Datsun engine series.