Alfa GTV resto project

This is a resto project for a buddy. Purchased as a partially stripped down rolling chassis 1973 Alfa Romeo GTV, said to be a CA & AZ car, looked OK when it arrived (buddy bought sight unseen). We had stripped it down the rest of the way at this point, and mounted the shell on a wheeled cart..............

alfastripped1.jpg

alfastripped2.jpg

Here's a teaser of how bad the car is, after picking up from the media blaster today. OMG, this is why, if you are buying sight unseen, you ask LOTS of questions, OR most importantly, send a buddy in that area to go look it over! Glad it's NOT my car...................

alfaRHF1.jpg

alfaRHF2.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The media blaster charged us an additional $100, cuz there was soooooooooo much bondo in this shell!! More pics.....................

alfaRHrearfendertop.jpg

alfaRHrearcorner.jpg

alfaLHlowerfrontfender.jpg

And the RH front upper frame rail, with TWO "kinks" in it................

alfaRHfrontframerail.jpg

Sad thing is that we've also got a parts car that was a 42K mile CA car, with a full resto, fresh eng/trans/susp, beautiful black interior. Unfortunately, 500 miles after it was completed, the poor guy got slammed in the rear and sandwiched into another car! Collapsed the whole rear 1/3 of that car, and lightly damaged the front end. We could cut & splice 80% of what we need to fix this car, but my buddy doesn't want to cut up that parts car body. Argh. All the other rebuilt/restored parts are supposed to be transfered over to this body.

FYI for you Eugene Oregon guys, the parts car was owned & restored by Joe over at Sports Car Shop. It looked like it was a killer car before the accident!

A couple of guys have PM'd me asking how much media blasting costs. It depends on how far you want to take it, and if you want them to do the blasting. The Alfa was blasted inside & out, top to bottom, no paint left on the shell. We paid a regional media blaster to do it, and it cost $750.

At this particular facility, you can also "rent the room" and do it yourself. You bring your car in ANY state of teardown, they supply a fresh air suit with a hood, and all of the equipment necessary. I blasted my 510 shell on a cart (like the Alfa), HOWEVER I only blasted the complete front 1/3 inside & out, the tops of the floor pans, door jambs, trunk area, all window openings........basically I blasted everything EXCEPT the bottom/underside of the car, the large flat areas like the roof, hood, doors. It was a few years ago, but I remember it costing me around $350, again, for ME to do it in their facility.

I also go there once every few months to blast parts. You rent the use of their huge blasting cabinets for something like $20 hour.

We don't know at this moment, as my buddy has been on vacation for the last 10 days.........he hasn't even seen it yet! The shell is sealed up in the trailer, at the body shop, and they will take a look at it this coming week. We also have a 42K original mile fully restored-then-smashed California parts car that we bought out of Oregon, but that car took a hard hit in the rear end. It buckled both rear 1/4's, tucking the trunk pan down under the car, and pushed it into another car, thus damaging the front end a little. MY thought at this point, would be to save the CA car, but that decision is up to my buddy! WIll post more, as the tides turn.............