Ignition Upgrades

bosifus

I recently saw a few electronic ignition upgrades on ebay and was wondering if anyone had tried the Petronix or Hot spark ones I see listed? Any pros/cons or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether and is there something better? Im not a points fan.

I picked up a 79 210 coupe a few months back and Ive been slowly but surely getting some of the bugs worked out of it. Right now Ive got it running good but had to take the heater core out thinking it was leaking. Turns out that its the water cock/valve/whatever rusted up with a hole in the line that connects it to the core. Easy enough fix.

This is a great forum its been a big help taking the smog/emissions garbage off. Thanks to everyone that contributes, I'll try and get some pics posted up of my new project soon.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently saw a few electronic ignition upgrades on ebay and was wondering if anyone had tried the Petronix or Hot spark ones I see listed? Any pros/cons or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether and is there something better? Im not a points fan.

I picked up a 79 210 coupe a few months back and Ive been slowly but surely getting some of the bugs worked out of it.

If it's a '79 it shouldn't have points? If it does indeed have points, I'd hit the junkyard and get a later 210 factory electronic ignition distributor (grab the coil too). For reliability and ease of use, it's tough to beat the OEM parts. And they seldom ever go bad, so used OEM is as good as new aftermarket.

If it's the original distributor, should look like this inside the cap:

DSC01235.jpg

Interesting!

I imgine this would also apply to the 510's? I have a '72 510 with points[L16]. If I wanted to go with factory electronic ignition distributor & coil [OEM]

what years would i be looking for that would fit my engine?

Thank you,

Henry

Interesting!

I imgine this would also apply to the 510's? I have a '72 510 with points[L16]. If I wanted to go with factory electronic ignition distributor & coil [OEM]

what years would i be looking for that would fit my engine?

Thank you,

Henry

'77-79 200SX, '77-80 truck, '78-80 510, etc. Almost anything late '70s with an L-series should have one (or 4-plug Z20E). You want to get the one with the black box on the side though. Much simpler install.

Thank you datsunfreak! I will look into that. Sounds like an interesting project. I'm running an old Crane Cams in it now, but who knows how long that will last.

[i realize my post should have gone into the 510 forum.]

Henry

I cleaned up this weekend and tried to get some of the oxidation out of the paint. I also sat down and threw a quick list of things I need to get it road worthy. Im witing on a heater water valve to get the dash back together along with a new stereo. I measured the opening for the stock stereo and Im not sure the new one will fit. Has anyone fitted a single din head unit to the stock opening ok?

Gratuitous cleaned up pic;

IMAG0703.jpg

Im witing on a heater water valve to get the dash back together along with a new stereo. I measured the opening for the stock stereo and Im not sure the new one will fit. Has anyone fitted a single din head unit to the stock opening ok?

Depth is usually too shallow for a modern single-DIN radio. :blush:

And the dash hole has to be opened up quite a bit. If you can make the radio even with the face of the dash (not the face of the old radio), it usually fits decent. It will leave a small gap on either side of the radio, so you'll have to address that somehow.