510 wagon gearing question

So I as most of you may know the rearend in my wagon is toast. I don't know what gearing is in it but, I have a lead on a complete 3.90 rearend and have a question before I buy it.

I am eventually going to run a '81-'83 zx 5 speed with the 0.745 overdrive 5th gear I've calculated that transmission with my gearing and tire diameter and at 70mph the rpm's will be at 2,971. Ok so here's the question will this setup not be ideal for a l20b with a Weber?or will there no be enough power to make it freeway friendly?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3.889 is the stock rear end for an auto goon. It is what I have. With the dogleg and 185/60/14 tires and l18 has no problem at cruising at 35-40. No bog on accelerating at 40-45.

3.7 is stock for a manual wagon.

So I as most of you may know the rearend in my wagon is toast. I don't know what gearing is in it but, I have a lead on a complete 3.90 rearend and have a question before I buy it.

I am eventually going to run a '81-'83 zx 5 speed with the 0.745 overdrive 5th gear I've calculated that transmission with my gearing and tire diameter and at 70mph the rpm's will be at 2,971. Ok so here's the question will this setup not be ideal for a l20b with a Weber?or will there no be enough power to make it freeway friendly?

70 MPH with RPMs at 2971 with a 0.745 overdrive and a 3.90 diff you would have to have a tire with a diameter of roughly 23"

3.889 is the stock rear end for an auto goon. It is what I have. With the dogleg and 185/60/14 tires and l18 has no problem at cruising at 35-40. No bog on accelerating at 40-45.

3.7 is stock for a manual wagon.

The dogleg has a 0.854 or 14.6% overdrive so a little easier for you than with the 0.745 or 25.5% overdrive in the zx.

Cruising at 3k is perfectly healthy for an L series.

That's about 200 RPM under it's peak torque so perfect. To accelerate you would down shift anyway but for level cruise that's good.

The dogleg has a 0.854 or 14.6% overdrive so a little easier for you than with the 0.745 or 25.5% overdrive in the zx.

I am aware, it was simply for reference. Like at 40 I can accelerate with no bog, so at 70 there shouldnt be for his configuration...