so my new head droped a valv seat

well as stated above the head i had rebuilt in febuary dropped a valve seat and made a nice gash in my number 4 piston. so how do you guy's think i should handle this when i take it too the machine shop tomorrow . I am also wondering if it can be fixed since the area around the seat is mashed up a bit. should i also ask to be compensated for the gaskets i had to buy plus the brand new 280 zx turbo bolt's i putt in the head this time so i would not have any more problems.

crap.jpg

crapshoot.jpg

here is a pic of the piston

gash.jpg

on a lighter not my 510 and 620 said there good buys i sold the 620 to my cousin and we now have another datsun saved from the crusher and back on the road

makeingfriends.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck in trying to get your money back or anything.

This is why I dont change valve seats in L motors. This is why I dont upgrade to 280z valves cause they have to heat the seat and put a larger one in there. Some shops can do it some cant. and it just depands how good they are or the way they heat it up to expand it. Sometimes this is a traila nd error deal till you find a good shop.

I seen this in Grass Roots Motorsports they did up a Volvo motor and the seats fell out also after a rebuild. They found another shop.

If this seat was a orginal then it was just back luck.

I think your piston is still good and maybe find another head or try your luck again,another machine shop

Good luck in trying to get your money back or anything.

Some shops can do it some cant. and it just depands how good they are or the way they heat it up to expand it.

I think your piston is still good and maybe find another head or try your luck again,another machine shop

Yep, Its going to be hard to get your money back but since it hasn't been a long time they might help you out. Be stern but don't be an ass....then you might win them over. This is true about shops. I know of a couple that can do it around me....I have had it done before. I always put new seats in when I do a head, cause most of the time bigger valves are going in as well!

hey cuz i think the piston looks ok but that head doesn't look too hot. if they are a good shop they will stand behind there shit. if they don't theres not much you can do with out a warranty but you can report them to the better business bureau and tell everyone you know not to use them.

I took it to the machine shop and the owner looked at the head and said. well it is not supposed to do that! Then i showed him the pic of the piston and he offered to replace it and re ring the engine for free. But i have to take the pistons out my self.

so i am getting the head fixed and a new piston and the block re ringed.

What about the head, can he save it?

The FSM says to heat the head in an oven to 300-400 degrees and quickly press the new inserts in. It also says to stake at four points around the outside of each one with a punch. The displaced metal pinches against the seat and helps to hold it in.

last time it took the dude a month to finish the job. is he going to put you at the top of the list this time? it wold be nice to have you ride back on the road so we can roll i have some roads i want to show you :D maybe sidways and all rubber flinging, smoke rollin, fender rubbin well you get the point.