L20b woes

So I have a 71 521 and I took the tired l16 out and put a supposedly rebuilt l20b with 4speed out of a 77 710 in it so got it all put in and it didn't wanna start then we switched my l16 electronic dizzy with the points dizzy that was off the l20b and we advanced it alot it seemed like it anyhow and so it started and we got it running pretty good but the header studs are jacked so the header doesn't bolt up all the way so fat exhaust leak and it smokes pretty bad it's black smoke but it seems like it runs fine so how could it be that rich? So what did I do wrong? Oh and my cousin put 5qts in it I said it might be too much but he said that he put that in his Datsun with l20b any help would be awesome guys thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

So I have a 71 521,

I took the tired l16 out, put in a supposedly rebuilt l20b with 4speed,that came out of a 77 710.

The dizzy that was in it,isnt so good so we put in and it didn't want start,

we then switched my l16 electronic dizzy with the points dizzy that came off the l20b and we advanced it alot, it seemed like we did, anyhow,it started, we got it running pretty good but the header studs are broken, so the header doesn't bolt up correctly,the exhaust leak is loud and it smokes pretty bad.

It's black smoke but it seems like it runs fine so how could it be that rich? So what did I do wrong?

Oh yeh, and my cousin put 5qts of oil in it, I told him it might be too much, but he said that he put that in his Datsun with l20b .

any help would be awesome guys thanks

first thing proofread.

that was one of the hardest things to try and decifer

5 US qts with a new filter is fine.

Can't run a header on a stock '77 motor without changing the intake. So what's the intake and carb from?

Is the gas level with the dot on the glass bull's eye on the front of the carb?

The choke will be on with a cold motor. Did you get it warmed up? The choke should turn off when warm.

What is the level on the dipstick? With an oil pan from the L16, (521 only) that will clear the Tie rod and crossmember, it might not need 5 quarts. I only run 4 quarts in my L23/ 521. The 521 oil pan is pretty small.

ifyoudotryandproofreadyourshititreallysuckstotrytoreadsomethingthatsoundslikesomeonejustgotdonerunningamarithonandistryingtotellthestoryofhowtheholerunwentinonebreath. PUNCTUATION. Get it!!!!

If you have to have the timing advance, you probably didn't get the distributor in on the right spot. Look down the hole where the dist.goes. That flat blade that goes into the bottom of your dist. should be at the 11:20 position and your dist. at #1

I agree with Mike; with a fresh WIX filter it should be a little less than 5 US qts.

Thanks mike I watched hainz's video and figuerd it out and so I drained the oil( new goddammit)!! Then I looked at it and it was way off. And so I dropped the oil pump down adjusted it the right way but no it doesn't run!?!? WTF! So your saying they're is a small side and a big side to the spindle head? So I'm guessing I dont have that right? Sssswweeeettttt (palm hits face)

Motor must be at TDC on number one compression stroke first.

Yes one side is slightly smaller and should be to the front. This off side allows the dizzy to go on in only one position. Look carefully at the posted picture you can see the left side is smaller.

motordistributortiming.jpg