KA timing chain tensioner question

VintageRice

So I put my motor together last night. And while turning the motor over slowly by hand the timing chain tensioner slowly collapses then when the piston pressure relieves and some tension comes off the chain it suddenly pops back out again, and it does this over and over again as I turn over the motor.

Any ideas if this is normal??? Seems odd to me.

Ka24e btw with brand new timing set from napa

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What direction are you turning it?

Clockwise looking at the front crank snout should not be doing that.

Counter-clockwise will because that's the wrong way and its putting pressure on the "slack" side of the chain. It's tightening the chain on that side from the force of opening the valves.

Either way it is moving because you don't have oil pressure to actuate it properly. Once oil is pumped up to it it shouldn't move in and out.

Yes, spring is in the plunger..... we installed it thne released the little thump tac holding it compressed for installation. It's installed right.

Kisor, Turning it clock wise. I didn't know oil pressure holds it out. I guess I kinda wondered about that since I've read about the famous "Ka timing chain chatter" upon startup. That would indicate low oil pressure causing slack in the chain upon startup. If thats the case thats probably the issue and wont happen when its primed with oil.

Can someone confirm?

Thanks dudes.

The famous KA rattle on start up could also be the crappy plastic covering on the guides that chip and break off leaving metal to chain contact. I pulled a 240sx KA apart and the tensioner was worn but good.... because it had been changed. Here's the old pieces I found in the oil pan when I took it off...

KA24Eblock008Large-1.jpg