521 dizzy

Howdy folks. I've been fighting (and loosing) a 521 for years. Its a sweet all stock ride with almost no rust but I can't ever get it to run right. Finally found a dude in Texas with one good eye to get the timing pretty straight but in high rpm it still pops. It has a dual point dist and the switches to run the second set are gone. I want to go solid state but no body makes a drop in kit for the dual point just single, that I have found. The other option is buying a whole new dist from mallory but thats like 450 bucks. Rather avoid that. Guess I'm looking for a single point that fits the L16 or advice on how to get this machine from points to solid state. Any ideas? Parts for sale that would get me closer?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of the switches that are for the second set of points are gone, or disconnected, the engine always runs on the advanced set of points.

If you can find a Matchbox distributor, that is the way to go. I found two in a junkyard, this last week, and found another that somebody just took the module, and left the distributor, with the trigger.

If you can only find the trigger, you can use a GM HEI module in place of the matchbox module.

Check your points distributor for wear If the shaft inside it wobbles, that will affect the timing. It is best to set point gap by using a dwell meter. If you do not have one, or cannot get access to one, try to close the point gap a few thousands of an inch, and reset the timing, after you do this.

... but in high rpm it still pops.

Definitely get the later electronic ignition (EI) system including the coil for it... a points coil won't work for long with the EI.

Popping at high RPMs could also be a bad valve or valve(s) with tight clearances. Check and adjust the valve clearances... it might go away.

Hi again, and thanks for the advice. What models or years can I find a matchbox dizzy? I've never seen one of these. Does anyone have one for sale? We are on one car and I drive for my job, I feel like I'm running out of time! Ahhhhh! I'd love help profit someone else's findings. The single point fits the L16? If so I would like to buy it, I believe pentronics makes a interior hall effect device, though I don't know much about it.

• 2 months later...

Get a Matchbox distributor.

Keep posting in the "Parts wanted" section of this forum, go to junkyards and look around. Look in every Datsun. I found a matchbox distributor and matching EI coil in a 521. They are out there, you have to look.

I just noticed you are in Oklahoma. Probably more Datsuns here in Oregon, than there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.