Phlebmaster's 1976 KZ400 Evolution- Full of pics and win!

I have a 1976 KZ400 for my first ride. It is a bit of a project but that is what I love to do with things I am not familiar with. Some interesting facts about the bike...The engine has a 1976 engine code, the frame is stamped with a 1977 VIN, and the Title says 1978. LOL At first I was saying What the heck?!! But after some research I found out that Kawasaki had excess new parts from a lack of sales in 1976 so they put my bike together in 77 and sold it as new in 1978.

The bike currently has ~20,000 miles. It is in relativity good shape with the exception of a few minor things. I love the look of this bike, very classic cafe style. I may go that direction since I need to replace the duct tape laden seat. She already has a custom paint job and the chrome is there and rust free for the most part.

Mechanically I know I need to do a few things. I have already had the carbs done, new cables, points/condenser, tank cleaned, new hoses, etc... Compression is good and when I had it running it sounds great! I do need to replace the chain/sprockets. I fixed the "no-spark" issue as stated in the other thread. I will also need to do a clutch from what I understand from the previous owner.

The intent with this thread is to share what I learn with others as I work on this bike. It has worked out very well in the past, so let's get started!

Let's start with proper pictures of my bike!

2s9t0uc.jpg

2nas2sm.jpg

33c7z8j.jpg

2nvb4uq.jpg

Here is a video of her running and my first ride!

9kyqkp.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you have high speed internet! :mrgreen:

I put in my new clutch and rear sprocket. This is my first time doing this so keep that in mind, anyway I wanted to share what I did. I was very surprised at how simple this was!

I put her in the shed...

2hr1lau.jpg

Pulled off all of the unnecessary parts...

b5s08y.jpg

3149nkj.jpg'

Drained the oil...YUK! :shock:

2vcgdhx.jpg

Pulled the side cover off... I made marks and took pics of everything before I took anything off.

jjo081.jpg

That came off easy!

14kh84j.jpg

The old clutch plates were pretty worn

35900mf.jpg

Next I pulled the rear wheel and the old sprocket which was a 41 tooth, I now have a 45 stock rear. I am very happy about that!

295sknn.jpg

30b359h.jpg

atr7t1.jpg

biefn.jpg

2wcmwc0.jpg

That went on easy!

oj4bbc.jpg

1582s3.jpg

It was a very good day! I still need a new 530 X ~108 link chain and some good oil to finish this project! I hope I can get that soon because I am on vacation this week so I was hoping to take her for a ride. ugh! :mrgreen: :shock: :shock:

Guess What....

I have a new chain!

2qxtjds.jpg

2h2o7dg.jpg

Can you see the size difference between the new chain and the old rust rope that was on there before? :shock: Quality shows...

28utz43.jpg

2rh8qjc.jpg

I have to pick up a master link but those are cheap

aazq7p.jpg

Next is the starter rebuild and another video! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Starter rebuild accomplished!! :mrgreen: I was surprised at how easy this was, this was my first starter rebuild.

Here we go again....

2gxinio.jpg

Pulled the tank and carbs...

20f518k.jpg

2e663pv.jpg

Pulled the stator cover off....

1rpv20.jpg

Pulled the starter gear and chain.....

vsccg1.jpg

Starters is out....

34xga2q.jpg

Rebuild kit and starter before tear down...

348neki.jpg

What a mess!!

bgv5f8.jpg

2iqenux.jpg

runp87.jpg

fyk1f8.jpg

This was the most scary part of the whole ordeal...I think you can imagine why. Look at all those pieces!!!

160q4a8.jpg

1zougbm.jpg

Going back together....

nnppmw.jpg

I put the tank back on and tested the starter...it cranks better than ever before!!

34qqjwp.jpg

Hmmmm....things on the horizon....something new, something old.....Cafe Racer?

Stay tuned!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So, I spoke to the guy who is going to recover my seat. I am thinking of a cafe racer look with colors that follow my bike's paint scheme.

Grey down the center, a white strip or piping to separate the side, then red for the sides.

Any ideas??? I will have this done in about 3 weeks!! Stay tuned!! :mrgreen:

Maybe something like this....

zxpowl.jpg

Or like this??

se989t.jpg

I am thinking this is the right way to go......

I like this one!!

30b1dtc.jpg

345k40w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ARGG!!!! I hate this friggin rain... :rant:

I am tired of talking about this, so I went to test the ideas discussed.

Here is what I am working with...

1zpsio8.jpg

I think that would look way better than the bozuko exhaust look below!! (google it)

2aakjrl.jpg

Check it out....I would lose my center stand, but just look!

73cun9.jpg

k5a54.jpg

Also, the weight would be centered better than having those cans hanging off the back of the bike. As soon as I can get the bike to the machine shop I will get started on the fabrication of the exhaust. Then play with the jets after I get this done.

Okay...are you ready????

I went all out, and this what my bike looks like now....what do ya think??

9kyqkp.jpg

a4o300.jpg

:lol: :mrgreen:

LOL...okay in all seriousness

Here is what I did tonight....I hate the rain! :x

I started with fitting the R1 exhaust on one side so I can get measurements and see what I will need to finish this. I tried 6 ways from Sunday to put them under the bike, but ran into issues with my brake lever and other things so I tucked it under and next to the back tire. I can put my center stand back on too which is nice to have, especially on a hot summer day sitting on molten asphalt. Seen bikes fall over....

Doesn't look half bad actually.....almost looks like it belongs there. As soon as I can get a decent dry day I will finish lining this up and get my supplies together to finish the exhaust.

a40gvl.jpg

15dl6gy.jpg

i3xtt5.jpg

245hswh.jpg

More progress!! Thank goodness for sunshine. :mrgreen:

Started working on the other exhaust today and figured out the bracket situation and measurements. Now I can get to the welding part since I have all my ducks in a row.....took some figuring but I like the way it turned out.

I also pulled that ugly rack and tail light/license plate mount, then remounted them in a better location. This thing is starting to look more like the cafe racer I am after.... Take a looksee!! Now the seat is off and ready for the work that is needed.

333jryt.jpg

epitg7.jpg

See what is different in this picture below????

2q9ia6t.jpg

34nnl1g.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As promised....The R1 exhaust is complete. I will need to get some high temp paint to cover up the uglies from the welds, but everything fits nicely and no dragging even with a load and lean.

Here are the obligatory pics!! I was not able to start it due to no gas and the carb issue.....but stay tuned. :-)

Table full of all sorts of parts and pieces from the R1 exhaust....

2rzysyc.jpg

Rolled the bike into the shop from the trailer....I was all giddy with excitement!

15ft088.jpg

Thank god for Hyster....

358v1jn.jpg

dfhdu9.jpg

Here goes the welding.....

vem2w4.jpg

v33gqb.jpg

ms19br.jpg

347txm1.jpg

Now....before you say something about welding this as a solid unit, this will be cut off soon for the other exhaust....so I am not worried that. This is a temporary mid bike crisis...... :P

awdlbk.jpg

2je8xer.jpg

11a8mlw.jpg

20uy3qc.jpg

2v7szkl.jpg

Here she is....I really wanted to start her up.

esst9w.jpg

15o9yrs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this thread... I dig the KZ, Phleb! I've got a KZ900 and love how easy they are to work on - pretty sure I've held every part of my bike in my hand. Kzrider.com and kz400.com are good resources.

At the risk of venturing an opinion: your bike looks pretty original - hate to see it chopped up too much. In the long run, the stockish bikes always end up more desirable/valuable. Was just at the Tucson vintage bike show this weekend - there was a KZ650 there, but didn't see any others.

Full disclosure: I chopped and modded the hell out of my bike, but the PO had done all the damage already (Exhibit A: He carved his initials in the cylinder head).

Something wicked this way comes......icon_mrgreen.gif

Payday from the college finally came through, so I went shopping and here is what I got....These are all from fleabay to you can look them up by titles.

Kawasaki KZ400 KZ Z 400 cc Twin 6 Sigma Custom Carburetor Carb Stage 1-3 Jet Kit- (230756742625)

kawasaki kz 400 kz400 Motorcycle Cover Q- M 4- (140734651760)

Cafe racer handlebar grip mirror kit kz400 kz440 kz650- (360414617887)

KAWASAKI KZ400 KEYSTER CARB KIT 1976 - 1978- (290697561642)

kz400 kz250 kz440 kz305 kz550 headlight NEW kit- this is an H4 with cool turn signals. - (120809754178 )

Stay tuned.....new exhaust (a real one) on it's way soon and a "Cafe My Ride" video..

Things are starting to show up......

I love the look of the new exhaust!!

3451r0o.jpg

2j4riuf.jpg

zyc1f4.jpg

The carb kits came, I am still waiting for the 6 Sigma jet kit I had tailor made for my bike specs.

vd1ekg.jpg

I also have the clubman handle bars with bar end mirrors and an H4 headlight with turn signals on their way....more to come!

Woohooo!! More stuff came today.

I am going to put the bars on upside right because I am not sure if my brake lines and such are going to like being crammed down lower.....we will see what happens. All I need now is my seat back from the shop and the custom jetting kit. Then....the conversion begins. :D

17vf54.jpg

zrblv.jpg

I am looking forward to having the H4 on the bike for those night rides...

34fno6c.jpg

6 Sigma kit came today......We will see how this pans out. I have rebuild kits for both carbs so I have everything I need to get them into shape. The instructions for the 6 Sigma are very simple to follow so even I should not have any issues. Some drilling may be required, but that depends on what needs to be done to fine tune the bike.

The jet kit came with this parts list;

• 2 mains 145-kp-54
  • 1 jet drill #155-55
  • 1 jet drill #165-1.8
  • 4 needle shims
  • 2 nylon spacers
  • 1 slide drill #59
  • 1 plug drill and extraction screw

The instructions and parts are based on my mods;

• POD filters
  • MAC 2-1 exhaust
  • Elevation ~525 ft

Can't wait to see how the bike responds to all these changes at once. I know you should only make one change at a time.... lol

Let the conversion begin!! I was able to most of it done today...and got her running!!! See vid at the end if you want to hear the R1 sound clip.....the MAC will go on as soon as I get the bike home. I still need to do some tuning with the carbs, but I can work on that later. In the meantime the Cafe Racer look is really coming out.....

2exq2km.jpg

I drilled a small secondary hole to start with in the slide....the PODs will reduce the vacuum so the extra hole will reduce the resistance.

2ypfb7r.jpg

Rebuilt the carbs and put in the 6 Sigma jet kit....finally got them back on.

2w69t9g.jpg

994f0x.jpg

One thing that is cool...See how the side covers encase the PODS?

3309thx.jpg

4humvq.jpg

Pulled the old stock handlebars, mirrors, headlight, and turn signals.

1o5el2.jpg

ngvbic.jpg

3536mw9.jpg

25f2amh.jpg

It actually feels right!!! The seating profile with the bars will be comfortable.

5dt2t4.jpg

Here is the vider of the R1 exhaust...

I finally took her for a ride today!! I spent about an hour riding, tuning, riding...grinning, etc....

This is the last time you will see her without a seat. I just came back from the shop and it is going to look awesome!!

Lookie at the new exhaust!! Oh, and video too....of course.

345bvb9.jpg

34dg1g8.jpg

30c7xfr.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This project is now complete, For those who would rather not look over each post, I have made a video from start to finish with this project.

See you on the roads....

x44412.jpg

v8oupw.jpg

I found a set of corners to practice on. This run was my second time around, lots of different types of corners and road conditions. It will take me a few tries to get my lines right.....still working on that. :mrgreen:

I apologize for the wind noise...tried to reduce that as much as I could.