F/S 1980 Datsun 510 Connecticut

80' Datsun 510 

85,945 miles

Brown

Automatic

I just want a more updated daily driven car. I bought this car 3-4 months ago, runs beautifully. It's all stock. I think it's in excellent condition for its age with 2 minor rust spots near both rear tires. The interior is well kept as well. I drive to work daily that's it with a top speed of 65. You can't beat on a classic. I recently crack windshield, its minor can defiantly be fixed of low price and is the Only thing wrong with the car. No leaks. I was sold the car with a Bill of sale and registered it with no problems and was told i will just have to use bill of sale again to sell the car, by DMV.  I'm selling it because I'm moving to school and plan to share one car with another friend and I could use the cash to pay off some medical bills and help moving expensives. I dont have to sell the car. I want to.

I'm asking 7,500 obo

maybe I'm asking too much, but the other day someone offered me 5k and told me I don't know what I got. Hopefully I can sell it

51346f8c.jpg

f54c1c98.jpg

339dc1a6.jpg

4cf87d1b.jpg

2816dbce.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does your roommate drive? This will outlast whatever he's got. Not selling it will pay for itself many times over. For what it's worth I saw one on craigslist in Washington a few months back in not as good of shape at the dealers for 1200 bucks. I want to say they are a rarity as far as datsuns go.. But rare might not equal desirable just what someone is willing to pay for it I guess. I bought my 78 hatch for 300 bucks but it was rusted and pretty beat. You'll thank yourself in the future if you hold onto it. Compare whatever you paid for it to what you will probably sell it for. Anyways glws and if you hang around and hold onto it welcome to ratsun.

• Like 1

Nice car! Great shape for sure. My brother had this exact car in the 80s but with a plaid fabric interior. And in CT which is pretty unusual. We have a pretty strict policy about members commenting on price on the forum. We're not allowed to unless the owner is asking for advise, but I am not sure if you are seeking advise on it?

Nice car! Great shape for sure. My brother had this exact car in the 80s but with a plaid fabric interior. And in CT which is pretty unusual. We have a pretty strict policy about members commenting on price on the forum. We're not allowed to unless the owner is asking for advise, but I am not sure if you are seeking advise on it?

I agree I didn't want to be a kc phrius but I feel like op was looking for input on it.

Edit:

Ima leave this here... Let's just say don't take this as a good example lol

http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/2848600087.html

BTW... you can beat on a classic. They will take more punnishment that the sewing machines they make today. Just keep them full of oil and water. Not saying you should only that you can. Last even longer if you just drive them. Nice '80.

I apologize I posted in wrong place or didn't follow the proper rules. I indeed would like to sell the car. In what direction do I need to go

Not at all, you did everything right! This is the correct section. We were just trying to find out if you were looking for advise on the price. That was the part that wasn't that clear. And we are not allowed to give advise on price unless it is asked for. If you are just trying to sell it for the price in the original post, and not looking for advise, then you did everything right. :)

Well im open to all offers, what should I expect or is my asking price to high? Ive seen other Datsun 510 in worse condition sell for 4-6k

True but those are more than likely the real 510s the second series is basically a rebadged stanza. Not saying yours isnt nice because it is really damn clean it's just isn't the more valuable/collectable old 510 style body. And it has a smog z20 with an auto tragic.. These are all factors into the price. If your model is selling for 5-7 k in CT I think there will be a lot of west coasters willing to deliver their cars your way. From the standpoint of a datsun enthusiast or collector you own a really clean stock reliable car. But that's probably about it.. A good car.

The late 70'd early 80's 510 which you have is traditionally not very popular among 510 guys, but I have seen that generation of Datsuns getting a bit more attention of late.

THe east coast generally does get a premium for these things and they are often $1000 more than they are on the west coast.

This isn't to say you won't get what you asking. As Rally said, it is a really clean example. But 7k will buy someone a very,very nice 510 from the early 70's, which is what 510 guys are chasing. You need to find the few people in the country who are looking for that model, and this is a good place to start, but for the price you may need to be prepared to wait for the right buyer. Or the guy who doesn't know what it is, just that is so nice and original.

If I were in no rush to sell, I might start the asking at $4000 but if I did I would understand that it could take a while even at that price, and I would probably jump at 3k like a rabid dog if it were offered.

There was a 77 Datsun 510, (late generation 510 like yours), except a bit more nostalgic desireable and stupidly rare. It was solid looking but not as nice as yours by a stretch. It was for sale for $800 for months and months with no buyers. Kind of a silly comparison as yours is far superior to it, but that said, if it had been a 67-73 510, it wouldn't have lasted a day at that price for the condition it was in.

Ebay is most likely your best bet for top price. You can also show it to the guys at www.bringatrailer.com and see if they might feature it. It would get a lot more attention that way.

Take this with a grain of salt as I love your car and think it is a fine example. You don't see them, especially that nice, especially on the east coast, so who knows what it could bring?

Buyers

1/ Replies WILL be limited to questions about the item for sale and 'reasonable offers'. All others will be removed at the moderators discretion.

2/ Negative comments about the item or the price WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. These will be removed and the member warned once or temp banned, totally at the moderators discretion. No excuses, no exceptions.

Buyers are also encouraged to make offers to the seller by p/m or their e-mail.

Questions about price and or item quality may be directed to seller by PM.

Concerns about the truthfulness of the seller's item should be made known via the Report button and moderators will remove or put the sale on hold, at their discretion.

To avoid a bidding war on here make your offers to the seller privately by e-mail or private mesage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Talking advice and lowering asking price I am moving to school. How would I make change to this tread or do I need to start a new one? 4k obo offer it is.

You should be able to edit your first post. There will be a little edit button.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.