Olivia - 69 2 door 510 sedan - fully built CA18DET

ha ha ha, yeah, sorry, i haven't had time to make a FS thread. I'm packing/doing laundry/working/etc... it's a busy week.

Anything you want is yours. Does 50% of the price paid sound good? I've probably put somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 miles on the parts.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to make a space for the trans mount tonight to see if that helps, just so i can drive it one last time before i have to park it. It's getting stripped down to bare metal after this. 

Erichwaslike: if you have any tips on stitch welding, let me know :) I'm going to do a WHOLE lot of stuff to this while it's parked. 

So I threw a spacer in and took it for a test drive. Without a proper alignment and full negative camber the car was really uncomfortable to drive. It tracked every single imperfection in the road.

I put the camber back to neutral.

Probably going to drive it to work tomorrow so I can enjoy one last drive down PCH before she gets pulled apart again. It's kind of disappointing for me to have to do this, almost like I failed but I know it will just be better if I make sure it's all done right.

Anyway, it's a little rainy so I tried out the wilwood a. This thing still stops on a .... Dime. Get it?

Hahahaha.... Yeaaaaahhhhh......

Anyway, that's it

• 2 weeks later...

Set aside a chunk of cash from each paycheck moving forward. I'm moving ahead with the turbo, wastegate and radiator change. Probably going to buy carpet and I'm going to finish up the other flare so they match this week if all goes well. 

Decided on going back to the original gas tank instead of the fuel cell until I have all the parts I need for the fuel system setup i want as well.

Pulling my rocker covers to install thicker washers. I think the head has been milled or something. The ARP studs are supposed to be just barely too long, and my head gasket seeps when in boost for more than 5-10 seconds (i/e a 4th gear pull from 2k rpm). So i'm going to check the thread depth and install thicker washers if necessary.

I may start pulling off the turbo and stuff like that too so i can weld up the engine bay and make room for the new turbo. Trying to decide between a 50 trim t04e or t04b. I'm shooting for 400 at the wheels so i'm not positive right now.

Probably try and mock up the ideal intercooler piping/size. On Garrett's website you can read some interesting info on optimizing intercooler sizing and piping size. I made a spreadsheet that calculates it for you based on CFM. If interested, let me know and I'll write a how-to for turbocharger system optimization.

That's it for now.. probably pics when i'm done.

• Like 1

Shit. i dropped a washer into the head, so i have to take it off. I guess I'm just going to disassemble the top end, throw the MLS head gasket on, double-up the washers like Nicoclub says to do for ARP head studs and leave the turbo off until I get the new one.

Fack.

I hear ya! The follow through is the big thing. I did the wiring in my '96 240sx with a redtop and it was one of the more unpleasant things I've done in my life so kudos to you. Last night I was fixing my headphones and even that got me frustrated :rofl:  Anyway, bad ass build, we can race sometime once our cars are built ha ha

Made some progress last night. I sanded down the passenger side rear fender area until I my sanding disc took a dump. Anyway, picking up another after work. Going to try and finish the fender(s) this weekend so the car doesn't look as shitty. Then I think the next thing is to work on the engine or swap the gas tank back. I'm not sure which one right now. My garage is absolutely COVERED in bondo dust... i forgot to setup my fans to blow the shit out because i was distracted/having a shitty day.

It could be worse.... i still have a turbo datsun. All the really hard stuff is done.... i'm just getting caught up on the small things. I have to keep remembering that i'm almost there.

It's nothing different than any other motor. I really like the actual design of the engine. Mainly the valve train though. Everything is pretty bullet proof. It doesn't make a lot of torque (compared to the SR) but what most people forget is that you can change/modify an engine to do whatever you want. You want more torque? stroke it. You want more HP? de-stroke it. You want to change the powerband? Add a cam, change intake runner length, etc.

The main reason i chose this engine was because the valve train offers a lot, the head is a good design (although the combustion chamber could probably be adjusted a bit) and parts are readily accessible. The engine is pretty customized to exactly what i want it to perform like, and it does a fantastic job right now. I'm just being a fucking tool and trying to rush it. Erich drove my car when it was barely pushing 15psi and the turbo gasket was blown out (so it wasn't building much boost, or quickly) and it was still super fast... he had a grin from ear to ear when he got out.

I personally think it's very underrated. If i get tired of it's current configuration, i'm going to drop some coin on solid lifters and extremely high lift cams (same duration) and actually adjust the cam timing for power. If that's taken care of, you can run +/- 10k rpm and a larger AR turbo to have a verrrrrry large powerband. It would be awesome for time attack. 

I'll take some pics of the valvetrain so you can see the difference between the CA and SR. You'll see what i mean. There is less mass and moving parts to actuate the valves and less to explode at high rpm.

(ha ha ha..... thinking of my friend Steve here).

155206_1581805596641_1403377_n.jpg

But that's just my personal opinion.

;)

Not sure I ever shared this. This was back when life was simple. KA swapped 71 510 and my 600rr in the SAME PICTURE.... super good days way back then.

148479_1581803796596_7938399_n.jpg

• Like 1

Ok... well I guess I'm going to get my car into DD status by next Monday (5/20).

My friend was the lead front-end developer at our company but was offered a position as CTO of another company. We got rid of our other front-end guys and I'm the only one familiar with the front-end code because I've always done both backend and frontend so I took his position. He leaves on the 17th and we were just acquired last week (in a good way) so I am going to have to work a ton of hours to keep up with bugs and new features while they look for more frontend guys. That means I can't carpool with my GF anymore, because I'll be working super late.....

So this week and both weekends I am going to try and kill it like I have before, staying up late and working on my car... i think i can do it.

Speaking of which... anyone any good at javascript? You can't be ok, you need to be senior level JS developer. I can get you a job that pays really well in Newport. Just lemme know. Besides, it would be fun to have another Datsun head at work.

:)

The idea of twincharging my SR popped into my head yesterday at work. I'm looking in to how much more it'll cost to include it in the build  :w00t: I was doing research on twincharged systems to figure out what all the complications are. Today I've been looking in to which supercharger from where that might work.

If you have a standalone, you just need to worry about sizing the turbo/supercharger together. You can do this by looking at the pressure thats coming out of the supercharger and finding a turbo that picks up around that CFM. You need to make a bypass valve or find a supercharger with an electronic clutch thingy. Then you can control it in your EMS. You can set it to be on until the turbo is blowing as much CFM as the SC. 

There was an MR2 build that had a very detailed description. I'll look for it for you.

I got the passenger fender on and swapped back to the stock gas tank. Filled it up with gas this morning too. Going to do more when i get home.