Oil change from HELL

Toyo Tech

Need some help guys...I started what was supposed to be a simple oil change 3hrs ago, and now looks like the Dime is going to be parked tomorrow. Long story short, got the oil drained and plug reinstalled, then went to swap oil filters. It's dark by this point, so I'm working in the headlights of my other car (I had plenty of daylight when I started this in the driveway). Anyway, as I'm unscrewing the old filter, I hear a clink, tap tap PLUMP...something jus fell out, hit the frame and into the oil....uh....what the heck was that. (You all know where this is going right???) So I grab the flashlight, and see a spring hanging out....check the oil dish, and there is a small ball in there. So some quick research on RATSUN, and I figure out whats going on...or lack thereof. So now...here's the question. Is this ring (that is damaged in pic below) a "pressed in" retaining type that I can extract the damaged one, put the ball back in and press in another "retaining ring"..(I know it's not a retaining ring persay...but you get my point)... I'm tired, I'm going to bed, I'll just drive the Expedition in the morning, and pray that someone has provided me good news that this is an easy fix.

23u5y5y.jpg

Thanks,

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I couldn't just let it go for the night. Looks like later Nissans have this problem (Pathfinders and Sentras). It appears I can dig out the old valve assembly and press in a new one....but I can't even find one for sale. I'll call the Stealership in the morning. Feel free to chime in with any pointers!!

Yeah....filter hasn't been off car in....15 years. I changed the oil at start up, and drove for a few days to gather moisture. Today was going to be the whole thing...but not so well.

Does anyone have the hole demensions? I'd like to mill a "press in" plug tomorrow at work.

Thanks Mike. I called the local Nissan dealership, and they will have one by Thursday morning. $5. I'd rather put one back in, than attempt to tap a hole in the block, in the car. I've had more than one tap break in my lifetime..usually doesn't end well.

Those things are a PIA to remove from what I remember.

Got the old one out and the new one in, roughly under 10 mins...the lip pulled off of the valve, and somehow I was able to get a small flathead inbetween the block and valve body, and basically crush it inwards, grab it with right-angled needlenose and pull it out...

So here's a stupid question. After 45 mins....REALLY 45mins of looking in my Haynes book and the internets...I cannot find out what the oil capacity is? L16 with Auto trans...I put 5qts in (I thought it was a gallon, it's one of those new 5qt bottles)....realized that 5 was WAY TOO much and had found one reference on the internet to it being 3liters=roughly 3QT. So I drained out 2qt, let it run for about 4 mins, and now waiting to see where the oil level sits....in the meantime, anyone really know what it calls for?

Yeah, flame me all you want, but I'm freaking sick of looking..

Got the old one out and the new one in, roughly under 10 mins...the lip pulled off of the valve, and somehow I was able to get a small flathead inbetween the block and valve body, and basically crush it inwards, grab it with right-angled needlenose and pull it out...

So here's a stupid question. After 45 mins....REALLY 45mins of looking in my Haynes book and the internets...I cannot find out what the oil capacity is? L16 with Auto trans...I put 5qts in (I thought it was a gallon, it's one of those new 5qt bottles)....realized that 5 was WAY TOO much and had found one reference on the internet to it being 3liters=roughly 3QT. So I drained out 2qt, let it run for about 4 mins, and now waiting to see where the oil level sits....in the meantime, anyone really know what it calls for?

Yeah, flame me all you want, but I'm freaking sick of looking..

with filter 8.2 pints=4.1 quarts

without filter 7.0 pints= 3.5 quarts

Haynes manual pg 15 very top of page under sump capacity

OK....I'm a DU MASS!!! I read that, but thought that had something to do with the pump specs..... just checked, and sure enough 3qts is barely touching the "low" mark... 4.1qts it is!!!

Thanks for the reply....I shouldn't work on cars on Sundays..

OK....I'm a DU MASS!!! I read that, but thought that had something to do with the pump specs..... just checked, and sure enough 3qts is barely touching the "low" mark... 4.1qts it is!!!

Thanks for the reply....I shouldn't work on cars on Sundays..

Happens to best of us :lol:

It happens to me alllllllllllllllllllll the time