Lowering my B210

I posted this at datsun1200.com but got no answers, so maybe you guys can help. So I want to lower my 77 b210 and it seem to me that the easiest and most cost efficient is the 240z springs for the front and lowering blocks for the back. All the info that I've come across says to use the rear springs for comfort or front if you want a stiffer ride.

What is the spring rates on these?

Also, all the info says to cut one whole ring. But how much does this lower the car? I want to do about 2 to 2.5 inch drop all around.

I'm planning to put in a L20B at the end of the summer so I have to take the extra weight into consideration.

Any info is great. Thanks

Also is this info for stock 240z springs? What about aftermarket eibachs that are supposed to lower your Z about 1.5"?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not to knowledgeable on the B 210's but thier front struts cant be that different from the 510's /wagons. Im in the same position as you, i want a 2-2.5 inch drop. I was told if the stock springs are cut the ride will be bad & may bottom out occasionally. There are companies that make a "lowered" spring for the fronts, im getting mine soon [used from a friend] The back is like a truck,use lowering blocks & your good & maybe new shocks while your up under there.

Guest jaimesix
I posted this at datsun1200.com but got no answers, so maybe you guys can help. So I want to lower my 77 b210 and it seem to me that the easiest and most cost efficient is the 240z springs for the front and lowering blocks for the back. All the info that I've come across says to use the rear springs for comfort or front if you want a stiffer ride.

What is the spring rates on these?

Also, all the info says to cut one whole ring. But how much does this lower the car? I want to do about 2 to 2.5 inch drop all around.

I'm planning to put in a L20B at the end of the summer so I have to take the extra weight into consideration.

Any info is great. Thanks

Also is this info for stock 240z springs? What about aftermarket eibachs that are supposed to lower your Z about 1.5"?

Hi.

I used to have a B210, my pride and joy ( untill stolen by the city of Long Beach...CA...GRRrrrrrrrr:mad: that is another story.) and I know some things about the B210. ( aka 120Y overseas.)

If you are going to use a L20B engine ( great, B210/120Y cars overseas came factory with L16 engines, the Datsun model was known as Nissan Sunny Excellent 1400 in Japan, PB210 also in Japan, 140/160Z in South Africa.) you will have no issues. For that conversion, you should get a Datsun 610 engine cross member and also corresponding strut assemblies. Thses parts are direct bolt on to the B210.

The 610 struts will allow you to use stronger coils in the front. The 510, 610, 710 and Z Datsuns share applicability of struts. You can use struts from any of these cars on your conversion. The Z assemblies will add vented discs to your package, but if you can get all 610 parts at once ( engine mount crossmember and struts ) you got it made. The 610 brakes are good enough for a B210.

If you are trying to lower your B210 to see how it looks lowered, cut the springs. Cut a coil revolution at a time. You can cut a coil and re assemble the astrut. The springs will beloose ( untill the weight of the car seats on it ) so if you need to cut some more, you will not need to disassemble the system again, just jack up the car and with a power wheel, cut 1/2 coil increments on both sides , lower the car on the floor ( keeping the springs under the spring perches, keep an eye on it ) and check untill you reach the height wanted.

When you have your final set up, ( perhaps with the 610 parts ) install new struts (F) and shocks ® all around. Use fluid as opposed to gas, to allow for a better ride, (not as harsh as gas) if posible.

Coil over suspension components ( Ground control has coil overs ) will work on Datsun 280Z and 610 suspension as well. That will allow you a better selection of springs, and no problems with springs floating. Will allow you to taylor the drop ( as opposed to cutting springs and no tuning.)

For the rear, decambering de leaf springs ( a spring shop takes away the curvature of the leaf set up, rendering it horizontal )will give you excellent performance, and it will lower the car about 2/2.5 inches. Koni or any other fluid shocks will complement your rear suspension ( gas is way to harsh.)

B;ocks is anoter method ( lowering blocks.) but I do not like that system, because you will have the blocks hanging low under your ride, and you will need longer U bolts, while decambering allows you to use all your Datsun genuine components, like rubber insulators between the springs/axle, and stock Datsun U bolts.

If later on you decide you want a stiffer rear suspension, you can always add a leaf, or change a couple leaves for a stronger one, your spring shop will know. Any leaf spring shop will work on your rear leaf springs. All truckers use leaf springs, so there is plemnty of leaf spring shops.

Addco sway bars are a must! Addco makes sway bars for the B210, and a car with sway bars is a joy to ride. Corvette esque cornering ability that will turn you into a cornering addict.

Any pictures of your ride?

Here is a picture of my former B210. Koni rear shocks ( oil filled ).Decambered leaf springs.

Cut front coil springs. Koni struts ( oil filled ). ADDCO sway bars ( F & R ).

13X8 wheels. 215/50/13 tires.

2328429_8_full.jpg

Jaime._________________________________________________________

Thanks for all the info. I've seen your car on "cardomain" and thought it looked pretty sweet. Shame it got stolen.

I thought that the later B210's could use the original crossmember if they took the L20 from a later 510. Front sump as opposed to a rear from a truck. If I'm wrong please let me know, because I want to go into this with as few surprises as possible.

Coil overs are not really an option for me because there is little chance that I'll ever be adjusting the ride height. So it seems like a waist of money.

So have you ever run on cut 240z springs with the B210 struts? A couple of racing guys told me that this was the way to go.

How much did it cost to get your rear springs recambered? I've thought about this as an option but have no clue what it would cost.

Again, thanks.

Pics soon. It's in the middle of a sand and primer, so it's pretty ugly.

Also will the addco sway bar fit around the new L20b?

IMGP1806.jpg

OK, here's a pic of the side I've finished. As a bonus, you get to see the tail of my broke 69 mini mk2.

I don't care what anyone says, the B210 is a nice looking car. Very italian in the design.

I've had 3 510's. Two with KA swaps. But what hasn't been done to a 510 these days.

I like being the only B210 at the meets.

Guest jaimesix
OK, here's a pic of the side I've finished. As a bonus, you get to see the tail of my broke 69 mini mk2.

I don't care what anyone says, the B210 is a nice looking car. Very italian in the design.

I've had 3 510's. Two with KA swaps. But what hasn't been done to a 510 these days.

I like being the only B210 at the meets.

Nice Mini. Cool mini mini lights. Love it.

About the B210, I agree totally. I will get another opne once the op arises. It is a cool car. Lowered and with nice rubber, it looks awesome.

I was stopped countless times while driving ,mine all the time. It is as if lowering and getting those tires turned a switch inside peoples minds. Suddenly the B210 was a desireable car.

I love it. Try getting the overseas bumpers. In Australia E Bay you can find those. The biggest problem I found in getting those was that in one piece, ea bumper exceeds the limits of cheap shipping. Using AU sea mail, in 3 mos you receive your parts with no hassle.

What I will do ( yes, collecting my B210 parts. I have some stuff, so when time comes, my B210 will rock ) when finding another set of bumpers and corresponding brackets, is to ask seller to cut them in half. No big deal, here in the states I can have them re welded, reinforced, and powder coated.

The advantage is that in half, those halfs are easily shippable, plane of sea mail.

Our B210s , as opposed to the Australian/rest of the planet B210s ( known as 120Ys) do not have a rear valance. Our 5mph "Park Bench" hideous bumpers were so big Nissan ( Datsun back then ) decided to save some money by forfeiting instalation of a rear valance.

Good thing is that it would not be difficult to make.

About cutting the springs, that works fine. The Z springs could fit. I have never done it myself. Just get a couple springs from a junk yard ( Zs) and try it.

The L series from a 510 should work. Note that 510s did not have L20B engines, but L16s.( never had a 510, I have a 610 and 710. But from what I rwad, that is the case, correct me if wrong.)

The 510 cross member should work, but a 610 cross member was made for L20Bs. Might be a better deal to get a 610 cross member, William might have a cross member, if interested , let me know and I will ask him. You might be able to get the struts too, the complete stuff.

The sway bar working with the L20B...Addco B210 sway bar....I have not tried. I am going to ask a friend in Finland who has a L series B210 . Will ask him for a pix if posible.

I miss my B210 so much. :(

About decambering the leaf springs, it is not that expensive. The good thing is that at the same time, the shop will straighten them out, in case there is any damage through the years. It cost me 120.00 back in 2003.

Get them out of the car, and take them in your hands,you will see it does not cost any big bucks. Re instalation is a breeze, no hassles. All the factory parts work back.( U bolts, rubber insulators, etc.).

I will get you some info.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

Thanks jaimesix. Yes, I do still have the 610 front cross member, I will need to do some work to get it removed. And I still have my stock struts and spindles. I still say to go with the 280ZX struts and spindles, if they fit a B210. They give you better brakes and you can adjust them with coilovers. But in good faith, I won't look a potential sale in the mouth. Let me know what you need and I will do my best to help out. I have wanted to see a L20B placed where an A series motor usually resides, so I am in it for more of the curiousity value, and I like to save Datsuns.

Hey Zerow,

Yeah I'll take your crossmember. I'm in no hurry because the swap isn't planned till end of summer.

I grew up in Riverside. Went to La Sierra High. My brother still lives there and I'll be coming down for the San Diego Comicon. Maybe I can pick it up then. Unless you find another buyer before then.

I have seen the black B210 in Portland a few times out by 82nd / Sandy.

Looks sweet, get that thing lowered!

I do not know if ZX housings fit on your 210 but I used ZX struts on my 510 and they have great stock brakes, bigger wheel bearing.

The spindle is a little wider than stock 510 spindle so they will add a little width to the car, if your tire is close to fender now it will be closer with these. With the bigger brakes 13" will not fit.

Also the ZX spring is bigger diameter and will not fit on the 510 so you have to remove the ZX spring perch and weld the 510 one back, then use the 510 springs or use coil overs. I welded the 510 perch on an inch lower and cut one coil and it was 2.5" lower with a good ride and never bottomed.

The good way to gain wheel travel and minimize bottoming out is to get VW Rabbit or 240Z strut inserts and section and reweld the ZX housing to fit the insert. Those are the shortest inserts and you will gain another inch of travel.

Ask the 510 guys about this as it is very common.

Also check the Bluebirds archives for more answers to any 510 related questions. there is also 610 and 210 info there as well. http://datsun510.com/bbmail/

http://www.dimequarterly.tierranet.com/

Enjoy!

Hi.

I used to have a B210, my pride and joy ( untill stolen by the city of Long Beach...CA...GRRrrrrrrrr:mad: that is another story.) and I know some things about the B210. ( aka 120Y overseas.)

If you are going to use a L20B engine ( great, B210/120Y cars overseas came factory with L16 engines, the Datsun model was known as Nissan Sunny Excellent 1400 in Japan, PB210 also in Japan, 140/160Z in South Africa.) you will have no issues. For that conversion, you should get a Datsun 610 engine cross member and also corresponding strut assemblies. Thses parts are direct bolt on to the B210.

The 610 struts will allow you to use stronger coils in the front. The 510, 610, 710 and Z Datsuns share applicability of struts. You can use struts from any of these cars on your conversion. The Z assemblies will add vented discs to your package, but if you can get all 610 parts at once ( engine mount crossmember and struts ) you got it made. The 610 brakes are good enough for a B210.

If you are trying to lower your B210 to see how it looks lowered, cut the springs. Cut a coil revolution at a time. You can cut a coil and re assemble the astrut. The springs will beloose ( untill the weight of the car seats on it ) so if you need to cut some more, you will not need to disassemble the system again, just jack up the car and with a power wheel, cut 1/2 coil increments on both sides , lower the car on the floor ( keeping the springs under the spring perches, keep an eye on it ) and check untill you reach the height wanted.

When you have your final set up, ( perhaps with the 610 parts ) install new struts (F) and shocks ® all around. Use fluid as opposed to gas, to allow for a better ride, (not as harsh as gas) if posible.

Coil over suspension components ( Ground control has coil overs ) will work on Datsun 280Z and 610 suspension as well. That will allow you a better selection of springs, and no problems with springs floating. Will allow you to taylor the drop ( as opposed to cutting springs and no tuning.)

For the rear, decambering de leaf springs ( a spring shop takes away the curvature of the leaf set up, rendering it horizontal )will give you excellent performance, and it will lower the car about 2/2.5 inches. Koni or any other fluid shocks will complement your rear suspension ( gas is way to harsh.)

B;ocks is anoter method ( lowering blocks.) but I do not like that system, because you will have the blocks hanging low under your ride, and you will need longer U bolts, while decambering allows you to use all your Datsun genuine components, like rubber insulators between the springs/axle, and stock Datsun U bolts.

If later on you decide you want a stiffer rear suspension, you can always add a leaf, or change a couple leaves for a stronger one, your spring shop will know. Any leaf spring shop will work on your rear leaf springs. All truckers use leaf springs, so there is plemnty of leaf spring shops.

Addco sway bars are a must! Addco makes sway bars for the B210, and a car with sway bars is a joy to ride. Corvette esque cornering ability that will turn you into a cornering addict.

Any pictures of your ride?

Here is a picture of my former B210. Koni rear shocks ( oil filled ).Decambered leaf springs.

Cut front coil springs. Koni struts ( oil filled ). ADDCO sway bars ( F & R ).

13X8 wheels. 215/50/13 tires.

2328429_8_full.jpg

hey jaime, i too have seen the pictures of your former b210 0n car domain. too bad it got stolen. are you using 13 x 8's in the front? what back backspacing did you use? did they rub?

any help is appreciated. i love the stance your car had.

Hey Zerow,

Yeah I'll take your crossmember. I'm in no hurry because the swap isn't planned till end of summer.

I grew up in Riverside. Went to La Sierra High. My brother still lives there and I'll be coming down for the San Diego Comicon. Maybe I can pick it up then. Unless you find another buyer before then.

Wow, no kidding?! I went to Norte Vista High, so were on the same side of town. When did you graduate? PM me if you'd like(Sorry slightly off topic).

If you want it, it's yours. I don't do the 'this guy just got here and wants the same part(s) you wanted, so... sorry" routine. You're the first one to ask, and now the first to recieve, plain and simple. That just means I need to get the motor out of the parts car and in my 4 door. When you're ready, I'll have it all ready for you.

Guest jaimesix
Wow, no kidding?! I went to Norte Vista High, so were on the same side of town. When did you graduate? PM me if you'd like(Sorry slightly off topic).

If you want it, it's yours. I don't do the 'this guy just got here and wants the same part(s) you wanted, so... sorry" routine. You're the first one to ask, and now the first to recieve, plain and simple. That just means I need to get the motor out of the parts car and in my 4 door. When you're ready, I'll have it all ready for you.

Cool, two Datsun guys helping each other. :)

That B210 will be awesome!

hey jaime, i too have seen the pictures of your former b210 0n car domain. too bad it got stolen. are you using 13 x 8's in the front? what back backspacing did you use? did they rub?

any help is appreciated. i love the stance your car had.

I do not have the numbers but I will call the shop that did the work soon, for some Datsun 710 wheels. I will get the info and let you know.

Yes, 13X8 front wheels as well.

• 3 weeks later...

So I think that I'm gonna drop the 240z spring idea and do some coilovers. Now the 200# springs seem to be the balance between ride and performance, but I'm gonna put a L20 in. What's the difference in engine weight between the A14 and L20? Should I go up to 225# spring? I want it to handle but I don't want my teeth to rattle at every little bump.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

dunno if you're still monitoring this thread, but 225 lb. front would probably be fine with the l-series

as for teeth rattling, it's the rear leafs you need to worry about

a lot of guys hate on lowering blocks. nevertheless, tons of people still use them to lower their cars

as for decambering the leafs (the correct term is de-arching) doing so might just ruin your city driving pleasure

13x8 front and 13x9 rear prevented the car from being lowered too much. in fact, before the car was stolen, he planned to do over-fender flares, to gain more clearance, so that the car could be lowered more