Tall overdrive zx trans wanted asap

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'80 had a 0.773 overdrive. The '81-'83 had 0.745. No way to tell from the outside really and the difference between these two isn't much anyway it's 23% vs. 26% overdrive.

If you are sure it's a Z car transmission then....

L series transmissions with this shifter pin location won't have the 0.773 or 0.745 overdrive

5speedfor710goon010Large.jpg

The tall overdrive L 5 speeds from the zx WILL have the tall shift pin location like this...

5speedfor710goon012Large.jpg

That's a good question. Sure looks like they cast that part though. I've never heard it mentioned where Nissan got their standard transmissions from.

The Japanese have a history of several car makers part owning a company that makes car parts or whole assemblies. Fuji Heavy Industries is one. This is why the Subaru diff from the 90s fits a 60s 510 and why the arly 80s Toyota 4x4 front 4 piston calipers are a direct bolt on to the 240Z car. Lots of co-operation over there. Jatco is jointly owned by several companies and they make automatic transmissions for their domestic and world wide customers.

The Nissan standard transmissions I heven't heard where they are made. Also they don't seem to be used by other makers so maybe they have their own plant? That might explain the Hitachi logo on a part. I've had a few apart and although I haven't looked for maker's names I haven't noticed any either. I will take a closer look. Too bad these were made over 30 years ago... hard to track stuff down.

Good point.

Nissan R90 transmission was made by Borg Warner

Nissan R93 was made by Aichi Machine (who also made certain Nissan engines)

Fuji used a lot of Hitachi parts besides the differential.

Fuji and Nissan were partners for a while (each was owned by the same bank)

Good point.

Nissan R90 transmission was made by Borg Warner

Nissan R93 was made by Aichi Machine (who also made certain Nissan engines)

Fuji used a lot of Hitachi parts besides the differential.

Fuji and Nissan were partners for a while (each was owned by the same bank)

I think Fuji is now Subaru.

Subaru is part of Fuji; it's always been the car manufacturing division of Fuji Heavy Industries. Nissan owned 20% of Fuji Heavy Industries starting in 1968- it was part of the consolidation of manufacturers forced by the Japanese Government (same reason Nissan acquired Prince in 1966). Nissan sold the 20% to GM, who then sold some to Toyota.

Thats for the schooling fellas still need a trans seems any 81 to 83 trans will be fine. Im driving my wagon about 54 miles a day need every ounze of mpg I can get out of my ka. My cars setup for that style trans, and I dont wanna modify my floor or my console its all perfect right where it is.u

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.