79 210 dash cap

ofg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can tell, ebay has caps for 80-83 b310 and <78 b210. Was hoping that somebody could confirm if either of those would fit my 79 210. If not, then who might sell them? I have considered repairing the dash, but really, its old and will just continue to crack up. It would be much easier to find a plastic cap,, then perhaps put a dash mat over it. Car is not getting full resto. Its getting tuned up, painted, rust repaired, interior cleaned up, minor fixes.... It really dosent need much, and Im limiting my total investment to less than 2k on this.

• 5 months later...

Good luck with the dash mat.... JC Whitney had them once, canceled my order when i tried to order it last month.... My daughter has 79 210 as well and her dash looks like yours.... rough as hell. Wife made them look again and they did have one tucked away somewhere and she got it... it was velourmat. Maybe they have another too.

One year wonders are tough... i have a 74, with the A13....

Heres what I did. I figured out how to remove the dash pad. Then, used spray can foam insulation to fill in the cracks,, then sanded it kinda smoothe, then used caulking to fill the smaller cracks,,,, then re covered it in black vinyl upholstery material. It looks,,, good at a glance!

Will post pics when I get the car back home to continue working on it. I have been caught up working on daily driver cars lately and the datsun has sat for a solid 2 months or 3.

Got the "carpet" type from JC Whitney for my daughters 79 dash, fits perfect.... her dash looked just like yours... I dont feel like putting that kind of time into it for her... She loves her 210, and she wants to keep it forever... its ugly, but very roadworthy. no rust though... just ugly paint.

Heres what I did. I figured out how to remove the dash pad. Then, used spray can foam insulation to fill in the cracks,, then sanded it kinda smoothe, then used caulking to fill the smaller cracks,,,, then re covered it in black vinyl upholstery material. It looks,,, good at a glance!

Will post pics when I get the car back home to continue working on it. I have been caught up working on daily driver cars lately and the datsun has sat for a solid 2 months or 3.

curious about how seeing pics, i did the same procedure as you except, except i ended up painting with black acrylic with a sponge to give it texture. i originally planned to go with vinyl but i could get the contour right.

a) Remove the Dash Top

B) Grind or cut out any areas that are raised or bubble up so that the dash pad is even, no raised surfaces.

c) Use bondo to fill in the various gaps, allow to dry and sand down so its even.

d) clean, rough sand the remaining dash pad vinyl.

e) Get some vinyl in the color of your choice, test fit it on the dash pad. Where there are curves you might cut and sew to fit. The spray on glue, and apply the dash pad working from the center front outwards then back.

Optionally to fit the vinyl glue it on along the front center straight area's, allow the glue to dry. Take a heat gun and warm up the vinyl so you can stretch it back and under on the curves, otherwise the vinyl will bundle up when applying. Once the front is well glued on you can stretch the vinyl over the top and glue/stape/cement along the back underside.

Here is a link with some information. As a note, if you purchase vinyl to pull over the dash pad, it cannot have any backing to it as this will prevent you being able to stretch it. Be sure to take your time and allow different materials to dry properly. Make sure you clean the old dash pad cover properly as well.

http://www.jefflilly...ard-covers.html

Here is another link that shows what I mean about grinding down the edges of where its ripped, and bondoing. This guy used paint on his instead of vinyl.

http://www.78ta.com/HTAF/index.php?topic=6220.0

I think that the flexible "Great Stuff" foam - the stuff for windows and doors - should work pretty well. It is very sticky, and it dries softer than the regular stuff.

I chose to not use bondo so that the dash would remain padded to some extent. I do think bondo would have made a better surface though.