5sp tranny into a 610

docbainey

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If thats the case, the tilt is in the motor mounts not the block designs?

Yes, you got it, motor mount tilt is different, not block tilt. I don't think anyone mentioned the Z22 dipstick is on the "wrong" side. You need to drill the Z22 block on the other side if you poke an L-series head onto it. Speaking of which, what casting number head do you have now? Some L heads have small ports and valves. They will bolt onto a Z22 but you'll not get the performance of a bigger port head. I think there is a Jason page on heads somewhere.

If you did use your dogleg tranny with a lengthened driveline, the shifter will be in a different location, and you will probably need to cut a new hole in floor and carpet. If your carpet is good, that may be another reason to find a longtail 5-speed somewhere.

Len

I'm good on the head front, (that just don't sound right!)

Just to throw another wrinkle in here, what about the 280zx trannys? to long to short, should bolt up l20b, l28?

Also what is the difference in the truck box to say a 1980 Vs 78? They both have l20bs

610 4 speed is about 31.5" long and so it the 620/280z/280zx/810/Maxima and the 1980 720 2wd. So these SF5W71B L 5 speeds will fit your 610.

The only differences between all these FS5W71B transmissions are the internal and overdrive ratios. Very simply put there is a wide, a mid and a close ratio gear set.

The '77-'78 620 transmission is a mid ratio. The '79 and the '80 720 transmission is a wide ratio transmission.

The stock 610 4 speed would be a mid ratio transmission in comparison.

280ZX will fit; same length and bellhousing. Possible problem is the gear ratios. Here: http://newprotest.org/projects/510/gearRatios.pl shows later years of ZX 1st gear as 3.062. I've read (no actual experience), 4 cylinder engines aren't as happy coming from a standing start with high ration 1st as something like a 3.321 in the 280Z (or early ZX). I don't know if this really matters or not. Maybe someone who has run one will post. But then, the later ZX has the highest 5th gear ratio, so if you do more freeway driving, your revs will be lower, and mileage improved.

Either of the truck boxes you mention will fit, but again, may have different ratios. datzenmike in post #9 here says "...look for a '77-'78 620 truck 5 speed ... it's the same one used in the 280z." Two unknown factors to consider: condition and whether or not the 5-speed you find is original to that year vehicle. Datsun guys love to swap stuff around. If you find a tranny out of the rig, you can try sticking it in 1st gear, turn the shaft and calculate the ratio of input to output shaft turns, then compare to the chart. Not super accurate, but you should be able to tell if it is a 3.062 vs a 3.321.

I see datzenmike beat me to the answer, but I'll post anyway, since I've typed so much. Hate to waste it!

Len

Len I think the very much lighter 610 wouldn't have a problem turning the 3.062 first gear ratio. The Z car is much heavier but has a larger motor too. This would be ideal if you had a 4.11 in it. Lots of bottom end go and a super tall 5th gear to even out the mileage. Long range, I plan this same thing. I have a 710 4.11 diff just waiting. Even have a line on an '82 zx transmission.

Currently I have the 3.321 first zx tranny in my 710 goon and first gear take offs are totally without effort.

datzenmike - Thanks for the additional info. Maybe that "too tall 1st gear" idea started when someone stuck a ZX tranny behind a stock L16 or something. Or maybe for autocross you can see a difference in the two 1st ratios. If docbainey is gonna have more power with a Z22 block and whatever else, it may not make a bit of difference to him. Sounds like finding any 5-speed in the wilds of Ohio is challenging enough, so ignoring the ratio difference is probably best.

Len

You guys rock!

The 610 has a 3.70 rear in it now. Planning on going to a 3.90 lsd unit out of a subby, got it layin in the garage. Got 46mm su's and a mild cam, header for it.

About starting off, All I know is that a 2000 with a 4.11 and the comp close ratio (1.85 1st) is a m'fer to get moving, especially with a twin disk metal clutch, horsepower or not!

Thanx for all the imput!!:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to ask, the 5sp out of the later 510 (hl?) is the same as the early 200sx?

Yes, if it bolted to an L-series. I can't remember if the last of that series 510 got the Z20. Those would have the wrong tilt bellhousing. I believe someone said only the 2-door coupes had the 5-speed available; 4-doors and goons came only with 4. But of course any of them could have had a 5 swapped in. This tranny is the short tail, dogleg, which I though is what you already had. Or did you find someone with a later 510 who want to buy your dogleg?

Len

Only the 2 door hatchback HL510 had the 5 speed and it was an option, so not a lot of them. It was identical to the '77-'79 200sx 5 speed. Only the HL510 till the end of '79 had the L20B motors in the states. Canada still had the L20B in '80 but the states changed to the Z20S motor that year. Canada did not have a 5 speed option from '80 on but all models 2 and 4 door hatchback and wagon did, but only with the NAPS Z20S motor. (confused?)