valve cover threads

so yesterday i was doing a valve adjustment and when i went to put the cover on i over tighten one of the valve cover bolts (back left) andddd i striped it the threads that are in the head ....

so i was wondering if theres something i could do to fix it my self or if i have to bring it to a machine shop?

can i re-thread it , maybe put a slightly bigger bolt in it or just keep it pinched with a c-clamp...

there is oil squirting slightly out of that corner

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're local parts store should have a heli-coil kit. Maybe Harbor Freight. You'll still have to drill/tap it bigger, but the end result will be better. You'll need a bottoming tap. Once you go as far as you can with the normal tap, you can grind down the end of the tap...leave a little taper....then you can get the threads closer to the bottom of the hole.

hhhhmmm.....or maybe clean the hole good with brake clean....JB weld a stud in if you need a really cheap fix. I'm not condoning this fix....but I guess it's an option. Just not a very good one :(

You need a M6 x 1.0 Helicoil kit.

The repair is to drill out the damaged hole with the drill recommended by the kit.

You then retap the hole with the special Helicoil tap.

Then there is a stainless steel insert that looks like a spring, that is screwed into the freshly tapped hole. The outside of the insert matches the new threads, and when screwed into the hole, the inside of the insert form new M6 x 1.0 threads that match the calve cover bolt.

When you get the kit, if it does not have the drill. make sure to buy one. It probably is a special size.

This is my kit.

HeliKit.jpg

This is the parts in it.

HeliParts.jpg

They are really easy to use. The biggest issue is to drill out the damaged hole straight.

I suggest you get a small square, and use that to line up the drill before you drill out the hole. Keep drill chips out of the engine, also.