su carb help

bagged_datsun

i need a little help with my su set up i got. my problem is my linkage is to long for the carbs and wont fit

here is a pic of my set up i think there z car su's ? and i have a L series manifold

232156.jpg

ok so the linkage that goes in between them wont fit, do i need a different manifold, my own linkages, maybe different carbs, or should i tig up my own manifold idk you tell me

download-1.jpg

one other thing, does a dogleg fit in a 620? if so any mods needed?

thanks for the help guys

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i need a little help with my su set up i got. my problem is my linkage is to long for the carbs and wont fit

here is a pic of my set up i think there z car su's ? and i have a L series manifold

232156.jpg

ok so the linkage that goes in between them wont fit, do i need a different manifold, my own linkages, maybe different carbs, or should i tig up my own manifold idk you tell me

download-1.jpg

thanks for the help guys

It would appear that you have the SUs from a 240, which are 44mm, and a manifold for the L16/L18/L20 series motor. You will know for sure if your maifold says 'JAPAN 220'. You will need the linkage from the 38mm setup, Nissan Part Number: 99996-D1110. It comes with a bunch of other small pieces that I didn't realize were worn with my setup until I saw the new parts.

BTW: Not to be hyper-observant, but the 44mm carbs throttle plates rotate the opposite direction of the 38mm carbs. The throttle plates rotate counter-clockwise on 38mm carbs as you look at the motor from the front:

|

o Closed Throttle

|

Engine o As throttle opens

---o--- W.O.T.

(Sorry about the crudity of the diagram)

You will have to set up your throttle cabling to allow for this. I have a 610, and it's linkage driven, not cable like a truck, so I am not as familiar with the logistics of getting the throttle setup...?

Hope this helps.

you said that the manifold should say japan 220 on it what if mine says japan k14?:confused:

If I remember correctly, the JAPAN K14 is from the Australian specification SUs for the L series motor. I have never physically seen one before, but I think there is an extra hole in the top, above the PCV valve for some smog crap. If there is, then plug it. You should still be safe, otherwise.

If I remember correctly, the JAPAN K14 is from the Australian specification SUs for the L series motor. I have never physically seen one before, but I think there is an extra hole in the top, above the PCV valve for some smog crap. If there is, then plug it. You should still be safe, otherwise.

ok i will try and get some better pics tonight of the mani so you can show me what to plug

ok i will try and get some better pics tonight of the mani so you can show me what to plug

No problem. Take pics across the top, and the sides. The bottom has a drain plug for coolant, no need to see that.

thanks for the help guys

A '77-'79 200sx dogleg will fit the 620 for sure. If it came off an L series motor it will bolt to any other L series motor.

You will have to lengthen the drive shaft as the dogleg is about 5-6" shorter and maybe mod the rear tranny mount. If you want a 5 spd in your 620 get one from a:

'77-'79 620

'80 720 2wd

'77-79 Z car (wide ratio) or an

'80-'83 Z car (close ratio)

There may be others but these are the right length for most 620s.

• 3 weeks later...
You will need the linkage from the 38mm setup, Nissan Part Number: 99996-D1110. It comes with a bunch of other small pieces that I didn't realize were worn with my setup until I saw the new parts.

hey zerow,

where do you order this? I've looked all over online and none of the nissan or nismo parts searches bring any results.:( do I need to walk in to the dealership?

thanks!

fryanbacon,

Look for a dealership that knows what a 'Datsun' is. Not trying to be condescending, but I walked into my local (to me) dealership and asked for this part, by name and number. The kid looked at me like I was ordering parts for the space shuttle, at his Nissan parts counter ('Uh, we don't sell Datsuns here...') So I hit up some Datsun driving friends and I found a dealership on the way home from work. Old men at the counter, the place reeked of Datsun (ummm Datsun reek....:P) and they knew what I needed, had the part number, and had the part to me faster than what was quoted. It may be 35 miles each way, but if someone knows something about your car, it may be worth it. Also, this is a Nissan Motorsports P/N, it may be part of the difficulty in finding the correct usage. Just let the parts counter know it's a Motorsports number when ordering :)

BTW: I am very good friends with the parts manager (with obvious reason). Let me know if you cannot get the part, and I will do my best to get it for you.

not to be off topic, but this is the shit i come here for, this is what it's all about!

dwnshfter, thanks! I never joined a forum, until this one. I would be the go-to guy when I was in the Army, always liked to help. I guess it carrys over into civilian life. I feel two things are most important:

1. There are no dumb questions. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked. You see people on the forum not use the search function. So what? If the problem is fresh in your mind at the moment, are you going to bother to search for answers to others' questions or get your problem solved? I never told any of my troops that a question had been asked once before, so look it up. I would tell them the answer they needed for the moment, they would get the problem solved and move on.

2. No matter how many times a question is asked, its never asked the same way twice. Help comes in all forms. How do I wire this? Or, I'm having this problem, help! Would you tell the hottie at the door asking for sugar for the second time to remember you told her the first time to get a bag of sugar. No. You'll go back to the cabinet, get the gal her sugar and she's on her way. So people ask the same question over and over. And? It's the moment where the light bulb goes on so bright it illuminates the area around them, then and only then, I feel that you have done what you can do to help.

thanks Zerow!

that's a good attitude.

hey, do you need a manual for your 610?

I've got a chilton's for your year in really good shape

also, I used to live in riverside county before I moved up to Idaho(lake elsinore and murrieta)

fryanbacon,

Thanks for the offer. Is the Chilton the multi-year and multi-model (Maxima, 710, 810, etc) book? I misplaced mine, could be a big help. PM me a price. I have both the Haynes and the 1973 Nissan service manual for the 610. I could have bought the book for the L18, but my 4 door hasn't seen an L18 in many years, so the chassis and body manual works for now. Lake Elsinore and Murrieta, huh? what brought you to Idaho?

it's this one:

http://www.toi3.com/pictures/11170512.jpg

so yeah I came up here to intern for a church and radio station back in '99 and I'm still here!

My interest is piqued - hmmm. The book I had a while back had the Maxima in it, but because the book is from '73 to '82, it wouldn't be cluttered up with the Maxima at all, but...I have the 4 speed overdrive auto that's going into my 610, so I would need that info.