B3y0ndD34th's Build Thread (My Datsun Aerith)

b3y0ndd34th

Well I figure it's time to start a thread here too to keep track of my Datsun Accomplishments! :fu:

Alright so I bought this 1975 Datsun 610 Wagon on Janurary 12, 2012 for $600 bucks, I have named her Aerith, she will be taking up a decepticon, black and purple themed interior with a DEEP purple for the exterior.

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

I was told originally that it needed a starter rebuilt. I have since rebuilt and replaced the carburetor with the help of Eagle_Adam, thank you so much for selling me the carb and helping me rebuild it! I've got the car running, I'm working on replacing the plugs and the wires, but there is a charging problem. I had some burned up fusible links, much like Jamie had and I'm beginning to think my voltage regulator is taking a huge dump on my face. So I have a saturn Alternator at the shop down the street I found in a junk yard, he's going to freshin it up for me so i can do the saturn alt swap on my 610. So far I've noticed out of all the build threads the 610 wagon had the most acceptable bottom bracket. The 510 build sI find all have the L20b but the bottom bracket is different, they grind theirs down, mine doesn't seem to need it, but when I start mocking it up in the car I may find out other wise tongue.gif

I bought this car with the intentions of fixing her back up. I plan on fixing the interior to my stylings and breathing some life back into the motor, and possibly down the lines replacing it. For now when I get it running it will be a daily driver until I find a back up car and it can become project status so I can fix all the rust and reinforce everything, join me on my journey with my first datsun as I make her LIVE AGAIN!

I have a leak in my gas tank I will get pictures so I can figure out how to repair it.

Body

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

Just did a tach mock up today

IMAG0120.jpg

Just some cardboard and duct tape LOL I will make a sheet metal shroud and I have some carbon fiber vynil here somewhere to spruce it up a bit!

Here's a video of it running, OHH BTW it has no exhaust, I'm working on that, well that's not true it's has an exhaust but it's laying in the back XD.

http://s819.photobucket.com/albums/zz113/B3y0ndD34th/Datsun/?action=view¤t=VIDEO0001.mp4

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...you could always get crafty and disassemble the clock and use its face to hold your tach - it would keep the cool blue gauge faces that are one of the best things about the 610 dash - the only downside is that you would just need to figure out what time translates into how many rpms.

12:00 midnight = 4,000 rpm?

I have a clock, it's being used as a paper weight at the moment, but it's in good working function I figured I'd toss it up here in a few months with some other stuff I cabbage a hold of.

Did my alternator swap today, I'll get pics tomorrow been up all night at work and need sleep before tonight :D

used a 1999 Saturn SL Alternator, Used a 1 wire regulator setup.

As you see here using the 99 alternator proved an advantage, I have an internal fan and do not have to worry about hoses being damaged, however I damage a few fins and had a pin hole link from installation, I used some stop leak immediately.

IMAG0010.jpg

only one lonely wire

IMAG0011.jpg

There's no shame in being orange!!

My brother used to drive a Volvo 740 sedan that an old lady had painted pepto-bismol pink. We used to get strange comments driving around in that one! Eventually it was sold to a guy in Detroit who taught classes to men with violence problems so that he could use it as a "teaching aid."

Wow, looks almost like mine --

the COLOR is definitely better!

Bobby in TN

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving my goon, I drive her everywhere. It seems my tank is leaking in the drivers side front corner :(. I will take pics when I get under the car again. Seems the old owner broke off some of the bleeder screws too. So I'm gonna fix up the breaks and stuff next day I have off. I'm hoping to get a hold of those aluminum door locks and turn signal knobs 1fatsz is selling soon, and some different rims :/

I dropped the tank, and after inspecting the hell out of it I could not find any leak areas -.- I cleaned a lot of the junk off the bottom side so maybe I can see a little better as to where the leak is coming from. I did however change one of the lines leading to the tank from the fuel pump itself. One of the previous owners decided to use a really small line and use a piece of a garden hose to adapt it to the tank.... I used a real fuel line.

While I was messing around with all this I managed to changed the rear shoes and the wheel cylinders. Next project the front brakes XD

get alot of steel wool and wd -40 and that over spray will come off the windows and trim whats the deal with the shifter?

I read that it is a bad idea to use steel wool on chrome trim. So instead I've been using Goof Off and a soft cloth, it does a REALLY good job of getting rid of the overspray, and some of the dirt that was underneath. The only down side is, I bought the industrial size, but I think I'm going to need 3 or 4 of these to clean all the trim ;).

I've got all the Lights cleaned up on the surfaces that you can see, but I need to remove them and the trim so that I can get all the cracks and polish the chrome with my dremel when I'm done, it's starting to come along :)

its not chrome its stainless steel meaning its steal wool safe

ohh steel, that's cool, ohh well, I bought this bottle of goof off for less than steel wool, and I like the out come.

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

still have to do all of the window trim, the windshield wipers, the trim for the trunk deck, and the door handles, but it needs to be warmer for that :( The tail lights need replaced period, one of the original owners had messed them up, the trim looks better covered in primer :/ I may replace the door handles, some of them are pretty pitted and ugly

instead of replacing them why not paint them black

DSC04422.jpg

my chrome was literally pealing off the plastic so i stripped and painted

610 parts are getting more and more scarce so breathing new life into parts whenever possible is a very good idea