needed: parts for my 79 620 kc

alls i need now is a drivers fender (cuz the boyfriend popped out a dent that someone bondoed over and now i got a narly chunk out of it), a back slider, a pass door, and a GOOD 5speed preferably outta a zcar (i believe thats what i was told i needed?)...

and some insight on how i should go about putting floor boards in as mine are rusted out completely and only the carpet is between me and the road

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a slider, has a scratch about 5 inches long on one of the glass pieces. It's $20. I have a blue driver's side fender. Nice and straight. Has some rust around the marker light hole and that seam at the front, but not too bad. Fender goes for $30. I'm in North Portland.

.... and a GOOD 5speed preferably outta a zcar (i believe thats what i was told i needed?)...

There are no internal strength difference between the 620 and the 280z 5 speeds. Likely the truck 5 speed will sell for less at a yard because, meh, it's just an old truck. A 280z 5 speed will sell for more likely because, hey! it's a z car tranny!!! There were three choices of 5 speed internal ratios.

Wide ratio: This was used only on the '79 620 which used a 4.11 differential. This would be the most perfect replacement for what you have

Mid ratio: Used on the '77 and '78 620 truck and the '77 through '79 280z and first year zx. Will still work alright, with slightly more effort needed to take off in first if carrying a load.

Close ratio: Used on '81-'83 non turbo 280zx cars. Will require even more clutch slipping on take offs. These transmissions have an extremely large overdrive ratio and the '79 truck will struggle to use it on the highway if windy or climbing a slope hill. This is the least desirable choice for your '79. It will work but I think you will be disappointed with it.

There are no internal strength difference between the 620 and the 280z 5 speeds. Likely the truck 5 speed will sell for less at a yard because, meh, it's just an old truck. A 280z 5 speed will sell for more likely because, hey! it's a z car tranny!!! There were three choices of 5 speed internal ratios.

Wide ratio: This was used only on the '79 620 which used a 4.11 differential. This would be the most perfect replacement for what you have

Mid ratio: Used on the '77 and '78 620 truck and the '77 through '79 280z and first year zx. Will still work alright, with slightly more effort needed to take off in first if carrying a load.

Close ratio: Used on '81-'83 non turbo 280zx cars. Will require even more clutch slipping on take offs. These transmissions have an extremely large overdrive ratio and the '79 truck will struggle to use it on the highway if windy or climbing a slope hill. This is the least desirable choice for your '79. It will work but I think you will be disappointed with it.

thank you for expalining the difference to me, i'm not very car savvy, and this old truck is the first rig that i've actually been able to work hands on with as much as i've done (which isn't a whole lot but i've been having some help), although i'm always willing to learn more..

yes i have wiper arms.. we just got done rattle bombing her Dark Cobalt so i had them off :) i have all my lenses (ken is a small parts hoarder).. right now, however i only have 1 wiper (untill later today) because that stupid cold snap we had took out my other one.. had 14" of snow covering the trucks.. i hope he can get my rear end done by friday..

2eDeYe' date='01 February 2012 - 07:47 AM' timestamp='1328111227' post='624778']

That looks like a regular cab rear window. Won't fit a Kingcab as the window opening is larger on them.

ugh yeah thanks for noticing..

cracker: anyway you can measure that window for me?

theflatbed-1.jpg

2eDeYe' date='01 February 2012 - 07:47 AM' timestamp='1328111227' post='624778']

That looks like a regular cab rear window. Won't fit a Kingcab as the window opening is larger on them.

Shit, my bad. Didn't know they were diff sizes. Lame. The fenders are same size between all years though right....?

• 2 months later...

Ok so the. Toad still *NEEDS* some things: sending unit for gas tank, the back part of the wiring harness (the part that goes to the tail lights), SOLID floor boards (I have pictures but I can't post them from my phone) and both doors.. I probably just need a whole new cab, but id like to restore/ piece together this one.. and I'm also looking for a scrap tail gate with "datsun" in good condition.. I wanna make a tail gate for my flat bed, and my side rails are about the higth of that section of a 620 tail gate..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.