R200 diff in 510 w/ zx trailing arms

ViperGT

ok so i know the zx trailing arms fit in a 510 and add a slight bit of width to the track and i also know that r200s are lop sided and if you use stock axles when you swap it into a 240-80z the suspension will

"bottom out on the axle unelss shortened. I was wondering if there would be a problem bottoming out in a 510 with stock trailing arms? Or with the extended zx arms? I think that there is less inward movement on the trailiing arm suspension as it travels in a somewhat parallel direction to the drive shaft compared to the mc strut the z's use which definatley have inward travel resulting in the axel extending and retracting. Thanks for the help!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can i just pull the axle apart and grind the inside part down an inch?

No ...

On a side note ...

I know of a machinist on hybridz.org ... that sells shortened custom splined chrome moly vented shafts ... that allow 300zx and 280zx Cv axles to be used ... without having any possible binding issues ... in an R200 conversion in an 240z or 280z :)

Point is ^^^ you need to find a solution like this ... or take one apart yourself and measure the Max stopping/retaining points ... not just grind something down even though that could "work" but question is how well.

Research this very thoroughly... my guess is a shaft being made or modified ... not sure if a machinist is willing to work with old parts (ive been refused before where others were ok working with)

this just from my experience with my previous 510, i installed a R200 into it and had a hell of a time getting it in the slot of the cross member, i even had to slightly flatten the spare tire well to get it to fit. then i had to modify the mustache bar because the two studs on the rear cover are spaced different from the r160.

there was a write up on DQ about how to shorten the half shaft and how much, i think it was just under one inch, also shorten the plastic ball bearing spacer and remove one ball bearing per spacer or something like that, just don't quote me on this,LOL

i didn't do any of that crap,LOL. i just slapped the stock 510 half shafts on and away i went. i never had any bottoming out that i knew of and just for the record i like my dimes dumped to the ground, i did have binding issues, but that was more from the massive u-joint angle i had from having the car so low.

but that's just my 1 cents worth

can i just pull the axle apart and grind the inside part down an inch?

thats how it did it.I made a couple extra just in case it broke, 5 years later and still tryin to break the damn things. :P

Hell it's not that hard to do. I did it took about 2 hours

hahaha sweet sounds good i broke an axle already with my ka so im gonna upgrade to the r200 and ermish porshe cvs for 900 when i go turbo. Also im going to willow springs on the 4th and im gonna get a set or rear coil overs anyone know about the pound range i should get? standard is 200 i belive and also should i get ermish coilovers or koni ground control ones that have adjustable dampening- thats what i have on the front.

• 4 weeks later...

about the R200's im sooooo freaken confused!!! i did my research and my head is spinning from reading for hours... so ill ask... is there an aftermarket CLSD i can BOLT IN to a long nose R200?? if so what options are available aftermarket? also i spoke to Todd from Wolf Creek Racing he said any Long Nose R200 will work with there kit.?? and to make sure i dont go LSD and stick with CLSD.... basically im looking for the simplest way to have a R200 with a Limited Slip compatible with Wolf Creek or Troy CV conversion.....