anyone re-purposed a 4-link setup?

battlewagon

They're not adjustable but has anyone used the stock links from an Isuzu Trooper or a Landcruiser in building a 4-link setup?

Trooper lower links:

98RodeolinksHD.jpg

Landcruiser FZJ80 rear links:

dsci2378.jpg

they're super beefy and it seems like they're about 30" or so long? I bet you could get a set of 4 for about $100.

tell me why this is a terrible idea for a triangulated 4-link on a 521. Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wood be good for 2 of the 4 links, but u need some adjustability and the uppers shood be shorter so it travels correctly. theres a lot of geometry in building it and most garage builds are so far off it aint funny. fixed one for a guy one time that had 50 degrees of pinion change in his 18 inches of travel. i moved his lower mounts and left the bars the same lenght and got it down to 5 degrees. alot to be said for doing ur home work and knowing how it needs to work

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say use them. If you do your homework and properly set up your triangulated 4link, there is no need for adjustable ends. There is rarely a time when you want to change such a small part of the suspension, unless you go with a drasticaly different tire size. Those are just another headache when they loosen up, which they will over time (unless you put some crazy threadlocker stuff on there, then you cant get it off, and might as well be a non adjustable set up.) Even if you get 4 of the same bars, same length, when you triangulate the tops or bottoms, you get the two different lengths that everyone likes to do.