timing issue please help

fuda

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys I think I just found my problem banzai said earlyer on about the hot wire connected to the coil that it should only read voltage when started I recently put in a new ignition switch because I had an exposed wire which fried it and the coil. So Im stupid I mis read the wiring and put that hot wire with ignition... Now I just want to make sure so since I only want power to that when car is being started then I should hook it up with th starter part of the switch right? Stupid me

Ok also I am wonder about my dist wiring like I said befor I switch from dual point to a single there were two wires one to each condenser one is blue/yellow and leads to dist relay then I coil"-" the other is black and goes strait to coil "-" I think this was another part of my problem I had them both connected to the single condenser I also want to make sure on this first since the new protronix has one wire to coil"-" and I don't need the condenser anymore then should I discard the black wire completely and conect the blue/yellow to the protronix and have it run throu dist relay?

Thanks for the help and please read the other post ubove to please need answer on that to thanks

And one more thing please while i have been sitting here I have been looking at my pertronix (yes I finally got it right) it comes with the magnet the electronics and this other round cup like thing with a hole thru th middle what am I supposed to do with it the directions that came with didn't menchion anything about it thanks again guys oh ya please don't over look my last few post I'm not doing another thing till I get confermation on those Q.... I don't want to mess anything else up so I will be double checking all my work with you guys thanks

Hey banzai i think I'm alittle confuses on my electrical You said on a earlye post that there are two wires going to coil+ one from ballast and the other you said is a hot wire and I should only have volts at that hot wire in start well just in on position I'm getting 12 volts... I put on a cheap ignition switch cylinder at first now I got the right one on and still reads 12 volts on top of that when I do get around to put in the pertronix do I want to run the neg. through the relay or straight to coil"-" and I double triple checked coil it's the right one please let me know what you think please I really would like to figure this out this week end

do I want to run the neg. through the relay or straight to coil"-"

Negative?

* Run a wire from the coil - terminal to the distributor. No relay

* Run a wire from the distributor case/body to the engine ground. No relay

I double triple checked coil it's the right one

All you need to do is move the 12 IGN wire back to the resistor where it belongs. And put the 12V START wire to the coil +.

• 3 weeks later...

well here it goes i gave up about a week ago and brought it back in to a shop they found some miss wiring from previous owner and had him put in the pertronix the distributor had to be timed way out in order for her to run properly so i went and put on a new dist and reinstalled the pertronix now back to the issue of erratic idling i get the mark at about were it should be but it jumps all around. so im thinking a worn timing chain now if any one has other ideas please post i hope it might be something else if not i guess this would be the perfect time for a rebuild

thanks guys

This shop couldhave or should have cked better after the install and used a timming light.

What you mean jump around.?????? Timming light jumping around at the crank pully?

then this staement:

the distributor had to be timed way out in order for her to run properly.

This is usually a a tooth off on the oil pump spindal or the dizzy pedastal os off or wrong one. I know the L16 ones are all the same. but later the theyre is one that could be off if using a different dizzy. hard to guess from here.

watch this on timming chain and to see if chain is timmed.maybe installed wrong from pervious owner

watch first then try it out with the valve cover open.

maybe another thing make sure the vaccum adv is hooked up to the base of carb NOT the intake manifold!!!!!!!!!

fuda

No need to drop the oil pump or drain the oil to pull the pump.

just put to motor to TDC and the spindal should be in the 11.28 position(when looking thru when dist is removed) then place dist on till it locks down and see where it points. Hopefully on #1 plug wire. and you should be in the middle of the timming plate

simple ck.

However soemtimes they move it cause you have a mismatched set.

• 1 month later...

ok well sorry it took so long to get back to you guys but problem solved got it figured out a few weeks ago but hear it goes to start i found that some how i let the dist slip so that was #1 i was to retarded second found my new webber adapter plate wiggled a little loose giving me a huge vac prob and lastly found a wire that no one found at the shops witch is realy bothering me but the wire to the choke had a break in it....fixed all that up and now for about 3-4 weeks she has been running like a dream until yesterday but not a big prob part is on order brake booster is failing now thanks agin for your time and knowledge