L20 rebuild questions

screamer510

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm calling a machine shop here soon. It comes recommended by another machine shop who specializes in factory machining and maintenance. I may go that route, just to be sure!

$75 for boring, $21 for Beck/Arnley pistons and rings puts me out the door for less than $100. Will the wife approve?

Thanks, Datzen

I'm calling a machine shop here soon. It comes recommended by another machine shop who specializes in factory machining and maintenance. I may go that route, just to be sure!

$75 for boring, $21 for Beck/Arnley pistons and rings puts me out the door for less than $100. Will the wife approve?

Thanks, Datzen

$21 for a set of 4 & rings? Where at?

If (when) I have the engine bored 0.020" oversize, do I have to worry about the compression ratio dropping? When my state tax returns hit, I'm taking the block to a well-regarded machinist in the next county over for boring.

Thanks for all the tips, expecially with the persuasion of going with oversize pistons and boring.

pistons and rings

EDIT:

I ordered the new pistons this morning while waiting in the McDonald's drive-thru. When I get them, they and the block will go to the machinist's to get bored properly.

I'm working on removing pistons and crank this week. How feasible is R & R pins and rods from pistons at home? Is heating the small pivot end all that's necessary or do I need to do that and have a shop press?

I need to install the main bearing caps in order for boring to be precise, correct? Do I torque them to specs for the boring process, or just tighten them by hand? I think that's what I've heard at least...

Been reading that an increase in bore size would increase compression ratio a few tenths?

I am running into a problem. I ordered a set of pistons, but the set only meant that it was one piston and rings and a pin.

So, I called to (complain) order some more, and was told that there were 3 more, so I ordered them (for a total of 4). Now I get a call saying that there were actually only 2, for a total of 3 (which is obviously 1 less than I need).

Are there any internal differences between L20s from a truck, a 200SX (like mine), a 710, or whatever else they came in? My question is because I see RockAuto has pistons for an L20 from a truck, but the problem mentioned above for pistons from a 200SX L20b.

Q: Can I order oversized pistons for an L20b regardless of the vehicle it came in????

Help please before my wife kiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllls me!!!!

L20b should be the same part number,trying again here

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/silv-o-lite/spistons.php?action=Mfg4l&mfg=Nissan&Div=Nissan&l=1952

early 610s like 1973 should be the L18

with your listed proplem above ,maybe its a different manufacture.

I have seen slightly different styles with valve reliefs or what not.

Rockauto has been good that with what I buy. But since Ratsun and the 510realm alot of people have been buying up the stuff and its running out of stuff.Down to the point of the crappier stuff is left. esp the hydralic brake clutch parts but that all is avail unless we know where more to get stuff.

The 2 places I used to get stuff from when out of bussiness but had the best Jap made stuff at the lowest price.

I like Carquest stuff from what I seen so far but most is old stock(made in Japan) Its a hard bussiness and cheaper is always going to win ,meaning even they might be getting the cheap stuff

• 2 months later...

Stock top ring end gap is about.............. 0.010" to 0.015"

Stock second ring end gap is about....... 0.30" to 0.050"

Stock oil ring end gap is about............... 0.30" to 0.90"

On a .5mm oversize I would run closer to the right hand side numbers. Usually it's 0.004" per inch of bore. An 85.5mm bore top ring should need 0.0085" MINIMUM end gap, so this fits..

• 2 months later...

silvolite website

hard to seach they cahnged it around. call them for a vendor that sells as they dont sell direct

I got a set for 76 $ shipped about 5 years ago.

http://www.kb-silvol...v=Nissan&l=1952

9048 is what you want

what is the difference between 9048 and the 9071, my engine is out of a 1980 720 L20b, and my pistons look like the 9071, can i get 9048 instead? :confused: