Cold Forged clutch

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I was reading a Japanese sales catalog it was basically everything you could possibly need for a nissan/datsun. Anyway, I ran into a cold forged clutch for my nissan (at the time) has anyone seen this or know of such a beast?

Probably to make it sound more than it is. Maybe all clutch pressure plates are cold forged and nothing special.Hey, they aren't referring to being cold treated with liquid nitrogen are they? Parts are slowly submerged in liquid nitrogen and cooled to near absolute to stabilize for a day or so stabilize the molecular structure? Makes them stronger.

Years ago I was reading a Japanese sales catalog it was basically everything you could possibly need for a nissan/datsun. Anyway, I ran into a cold forged clutch for my nissan (at the time) has anyone seen this or know of such a beast?

Forging "hot" means the metal's heated to beyond it's crystalization point before the stamping/hammering process. Cold doesn't mean you can pick it up with your hands~ only that the metal's not heated to such a high temp. Cold forging also tends to work-harden the metal, creating some machining difficulties. But since clutch hats/pressure plates (or whatever you choose to call them) have only one major machined surface, that work-hardening is somewhat beneficial to wear reduction, and for such a simple piece reduces overall assemblyline costs....

really no magic there.

Peace~

Scott

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.