Removing strut cartridge

Hurley

I have never delt with struts before.I have a 1970 510. I baught new cartridges because the old ones are shot. I have the struts out of the car and cant figure out how to disassemble them. Someone help me please!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never delt with struts before.I have a 1970 510. I baught new cartridges because the old ones are shot. I have the struts out of the car and cant figure out how to disassemble them. Someone help me please!

You can realy hurt yourself dissembling a strut, id try and get someone to show you the first time.

If you have an air ratchet set the strut on its side, place your strong foot on the 2 or 3rd coil from the top hat, with the strut tube pointed in a safe direction and the top hat pointed in a safe direction, use the air rathet to blast the top hat nut off , and watch your face.

Then remove the coil, remove the gland nut and slide it off the strut, then look for the O ring around the top of the insert, pull the seal the inset should pull out with a little force , then reverse it back in.

You need to compress the springs so you can remove the top spring so you can remove the strut bolt in the middle of the spring perch. then pull off the spring and unbolt the large hexagon nut to access the strut insert. you can usually rent a spring compressor from the auto store or do it there. unless you know someone who may have one.

I don't know about that. There's a lot of energy stored in that spring plus this won't work for putting back together. Rent a spring compressor. I just replaced the fluid with 20w motorcycle fork oil. Firmed it right up.

I made my own compressor...

struts001Large.jpg

remove nut

struts002Large.jpg

Release spring and remove top hat

struts003Large.jpg

Remove gland nut with pipe wrench...

strutmods007Large2.jpg

Fish out the O ring...

strutmods012Large.jpg

Pour out the thin damper oil.

280zxinsertina510tube.jpg

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Dont need no spring compressor,nor a rather longish plank :lol: to drop struts out

Its easy peasy to get a strut out,have pulled and replaced a pair in less than 45 mins :P

all thats needed is

Jack(floor),Jack handle,Tire iron,14 and 17 MM sockets,Farmer brown fits all(crescent wrench, only to pivot ball joint)..

Dont need no spring compressor,nor a rather longish plank :lol: to drop struts out

Its easy peasy to get a strut out,have pulled and replaced a pair in less than 45 mins :P

all thats needed is

Jack(floor),Jack handle,Tire iron,14 and 17 MM sockets,Farmer brown fits all(crescent wrench, only to pivot ball joint)..

kami calls it a mexican socket set or a polish micrometer

You can realy hurt yourself dissembling a strut, id try and get someone to show you the first time.

If you have an air ratchet set the strut on its side, place your strong foot on the 2 or 3rd coil from the top hat, with the strut tube pointed in a safe direction and the top hat pointed in a safe direction, use the air rathet to blast the top hat nut off , and watch your face.

Then remove the coil, remove the gland nut and slide it off the strut, then look for the O ring around the top of the insert, pull the seal the inset should pull out with a little force , then reverse it back in.

That sounds awfully safe.............

although I can't talk........ my dad and I were about to do the same thing yesterday until he remembered he already has a spring compressor laugh.giflaugh.gif