1972 4dr 510... "restoration"

fortyPSI

Well, I finally gave in and picked up a 510. It is a very very sad 1972 4dr, original color was I believe red and someone repainted it a slightly darker red later on in it's life.

It does not run (removed engine), it is rusty. Came with a 4spd and a L18, r180 diff and a bigger sway bar in the front.

The L18 will be for sale as well as the 4spd. Which last time I saw the car ran pretty good.

The plan for this car is to "restore" it and swap a ca18det or a ka24de with a mp62. Engine management is going to be a MS-I v3.... I always end up with these somehow on parts trades.

(if anyone needs a MS-I v2.2 with a 12ft harness let me know)

Can anyone tell me what wheels those are? They are 14 in diameter but I have no clue of the width.

Once my evo is out of the garage, I will probably put this on a rotisserie and it will end getting sand blasted in the back yard after I do the major rust repair.

Here are some photos of the car and how terribly rusted it is:

20111231120230-5741e771.jpg

20111231120228-cdd32b06.jpg

20111231120226-760a057f.jpg

20111231120222-58be30cc.jpg

20111231120220-5fce92fb.jpg

20111231120218-a7f28bb4.jpg

20111231120236-ce126914.jpg

20111231120234-19d86893.jpg

20111231120232-f6d22d08.jpg

Goals/questions/figure s#!7 out for this car:

- Clean up rust

- Replace panels that need to be replaced

- figure out the swap.... KA24des/CA18det/13bPP/SR20det?

- get 280zx front struts and brakes

- 240sx coilovers

- eventually make a different rear subframe

- flares: ZG/mk2golf+mk1rabbit?

- color: light oem blue/orange/rally red/grauschwarz?

- to rollbar/cage or not to?

- rewire whole car

- wheels: ROTA RB 13x8(narrow tire since sumitomo 215/50r13 is gone :( ) or rota rkr 15x8 (225/45r15 hankook rs-3)?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Western wheels most likley, should say on the back..

Thats not real rusty in 510 terms ( seen some crazy stuff saved) looks pretty straight man! Do want a roto... Or atleast some time on the lift.

Know any history on it?

I will take the wheels off as soon as I get it home.

Problem with being in Michigan is that there aren't many of these around (that I know of at least) so getting parts to fix it will take some shipping from far away.

I do not know the history on it, wish I did though.

How much did you get it for? Looks pretty good to me, and you got yourself an evo? Post some pictures of that..wink.gif

I paid $500 for it.

The evo is a '04 VIII RS with a 2.3l stroker and a HX40, stock wheels for the winter and some coilovers.20111231130421-e0047694.jpgI know what you are thinking, it's AWD, you can't dolly it, I had to take the driveshaft out for the trip.20111231130425-cbd4f176.jpg20111231130428-13004df8.jpg

Which engine should I put in the 510? ca18det,ka24de+supercharger? The ca18det I can buy hasn't been started in a while now and the compression of it is unknown. A third option is a 2.3l turbo volvo engine (red block).

They look like there x6 0 offset, its hard to tell from pics tho could be a 7 :)

Thank you.

i am in love with your evo!

In the 3rd photo the bumper is only slipped on and the hood wasn't closed.

The car will be for sale in spring/summer... you can buy it of you want it?

Sr20det ftw it is a retarded amount of power in a 510 even at stock boost.

Meh......... just look at that Evo, I don't think this guy will be too satisfied with a 200hp 510 ;) My KA 510 has probably 175whp or so and it runs mid 13s... with poopy 195-50-15 all season tires.... and I want/need moar powa!

I was toying with the idea of a Supercharged KA but decided to go with a high compression n/a build (that isn't done yet) I'm sure you have the capabilities of doing a Supercharged KA build.. I say do it. Be different :) Everyone goes for SR20s and KA-Ts....

Congrats!

I saw that one for sale while I was vicariously shopping for my friend in Detroit's 24 hours of LeMons project!

I remember seeing way worse stuff when I was living out there. Is there still no safety inspection for cars in Michigan?

Congrats!

I saw that one for sale while I was vicariously shopping for my friend in Detroit's 24 hours of LeMons project!

I remember seeing way worse stuff when I was living out there. Is there still no safety inspection for cars in Michigan?

No safety inspection in Michigan, I think there used to be one in the past but it was just for newer cars which was retarded? But what do I know.

This car looks better in person, I think... it's rusty, savable, but still really rusty.

Meh......... just look at that Evo, I don't think this guy will be too satisfied with a 200hp 510 ;) My KA 510 has probably 175whp or so and it runs mid 13s... with poopy 195-50-15 all season tires.... and I want/need moar powa!

I was toying with the idea of a Supercharged KA but decided to go with a high compression n/a build (that isn't done yet) I'm sure you have the capabilities of doing a Supercharged KA build.. I say do it. Be different :) Everyone goes for SR20s and KA-Ts....

I couldn't get traction 1st through 3rd the best time i could get was a 14 with a 8.9 1/8th mile on 195 50 15's , so your ka has me beat lol.

all wheel drive evo power is very different from rear wheel drive trailing link 2200 pound car

I couldn't get traction 1st through 3rd the best time i could get was a 14 with a 8.9 1/8th mile on 195 50 15's , so your ka has me beat lol.

all wheel drive evo power is very different from rear wheel drive trailing link 2200 pound car

Evo's are indeed really different. You spend thousands of $$$ on stupid things. Injectors 2150cc.... $700, tune... free, turbo setup.... well the hx40 is like $300, exhaust... $1000ish, intercooler with piping thats another $1000, brake job.... couple hundred, you can build the 2.3 stroker for $3000 ish, headstuds for those boost levels are too much.

I want the 510 to be a nice looking and perform decently. I don't want anything above 300whp in it. Maybe 350whp. But I was thinking of using a M90 supercharger off of a grand prix gtp (or bonneville/newer body gtp), sandwiching a water/air intercooler in there and having he supercharger right underneath the intake manifold.

I have to plan these things out really well, since money is really tight right now - hence selling evo in the spring/summer and buying something more useful so I can make a few more $$ towing stuff for people to and from tracks ;) like a nice 2wd cummins ram mega cab.

Evo's are indeed really different. You spend thousands of $$$ on stupid things. Injectors 2150cc.... $700, tune... free, turbo setup.... well the hx40 is like $300, exhaust... $1000ish, intercooler with piping thats another $1000, brake job.... couple hundred, you can build the 2.3 stroker for $3000 ish, headstuds for those boost levels are too much.

I want the 510 to be a nice looking and perform decently. I don't want anything above 300whp in it. Maybe 350whp. But I was thinking of using a M90 supercharger off of a grand prix gtp (or bonneville/newer body gtp), sandwiching a water/air intercooler in there and having he supercharger right underneath the intake manifold.

I have to plan these things out really well, since money is really tight right now - hence selling evo in the spring/summer and buying something more useful so I can make a few more $$ towing stuff for people to and from tracks ;) like a nice 2wd cummins ram mega cab.

I suggested sr because it is half the cost by the time you make a ka able to handle boost. ka pistons dont like boost and you need to run after market management. by a s15 swap turn up the boost to 15 pound's and bam 300 horses.

I suggested sr because it is half the cost by the time you make a ka able to handle boost. ka pistons dont like boost and you need to run after market management. by a s15 swap turn up the boost to 15 pound's and bam 300 horses.

KA's can handle some boost (5-10psi) if tuned properly. Engine management of choice for me is MegaSquirt since I have 3 in my drawers at the moment (anyone need one?) and I have one locally and 75k miles out of a 2004 frontier, trans I can find one.

On the other hand there is also a s13 that is for sale as a whole for $2000 with coilovers that I could use and an sr20det out of a s14, but it has a hole in one of the pistons.

so have you thought about suspension yet ? are you going to convert to rack and pinion?

Suspension wise, I really haven't that far into it. I found a set of 280zx front struts with calipers and rotors for $100 locally at a junkyard and using 240sx coilovers with those.

I would love to go with a rack and pinion but is it that big of an improvement to actually do the conversion and what racks would I have to use?

my tan 510 i bought from ron tyler has a e30 rack in it. I would advise not going this rout.

here is the build thread for bart

http://community.rat..._1

most people run a s12 or a corolla rack

I think I will stay away from the e30 route... lol I really don't feel like modifying the strut towers.

I am searching through here and the realm and I'm having a hard time finding much help on the s12 rack conversion. Any links?

:blink:

Thats it...I'm getting one...haha.

And, on the Evo...a buddy of mine here in PA has one...ran an 11.8 with it (on slicks), stock turbo, daily driven...haha.

:blink:

Thats it...I'm getting one...haha.

And, on the Evo...a buddy of mine here in PA has one...ran an 11.8 with it (on slicks), stock turbo, daily driven...haha.

Nice time, is it a 8, 9 or 10?

I'm shooting for a 9.9sec in the spring. I did win with a 10.43 evo8 this past summer, since then I upped the boost from 38 to 45psi and changed the injectors to 2150cc.