411 alternator/coil problems

v-juice

my gfs 411 was running fine and out of nowhere it died i notice the coil was leaking fluids and the noticed that the back of the coil resistor was broken so i replaced the coil and the resistor and the condenser and the car started right up but then after a couple of minutes the resister started buring up and smoking.....i check the battery and it was fine but i think the alternator was charging high and the other thing is that the people we bought the car from had redone the wiring and took out the voltage regulator...so if anyone knows what i can do to fix it please let me know or should i just think about swaping in a 240sx single cam in?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have two choices:

* Solve this problem. Probable cost: Under $60

* Replace the engine with a KA: Probable cost: Priceless

the people we bought the car ... took out the voltage regulator

That will cause all the symptoms you mention. Obtain a voltage regulator an put it back in.

Put a KA in it, that'd be easier than putting on a regulator.

NOT!

No seriously though sounds like you need to find yourself a regulator. Post a shit ton of OICs of your engine bay as well!

Id car was running without a regulator for awhile?????????? Like how long you owned it?

Ask them if they put a Internal volt reg alternator in there.

I cant believe you bought a car w/o a voltreg and just drove it around.

Im only guess ing here. But If there is not external volt reg on this car then I will assume the alternator is a newer type..

Now for the coil, You must buy a point type coil if you going to runs a point distributor and use the ballast resisitor. As points want a Higher resistance circut. If you put a newer coil in there they are a lower value ohms wise and more current will go thru the ballast and make it get hot.

Ask the previous owner whats installed.

PS if you cant fix this then DONT do a KA swap as this will be in the back yard to rot

If it's the original type externally regulated alternator use a solid state external regulator. They are screw-in and plug compatible with the original mechanical regulator. If you want to maintain the existing visual look, bend the tabs on the case of the mechanical regulator, it will slip over the electronic regulator as a slide fit, a drop of epoxy will secure it. I just left mine as is and appreciate the slight bit of extra under hood space.

If it's the original type externally regulated alternator use a solid state external regulator. They are screw-in and plug compatible with the original mechanical regulator. If you want to maintain the existing visual look, bend the tabs on the case of the mechanical regulator, it will slip over the electronic regulator as a slide fit, a drop of epoxy will secure it. I just left mine as is and appreciate the slight bit of extra under hood space.