Motor Mount Swap

For reference this is for a Mitsubishi 4G63T and Toyota R154 transmission in a 72 510.

I've had some issues lately with getting everything to fit in my engine bay despite the multiple trial fittings I've done. Currently I'm looking to raise the motor up a little to help with oil pan clearance at the crossmember. I know I've seen somewhere that the 76-78 620 rubber motor mounts will bolt in place of the factory 510 units, but there seems to be two different mounts for the 620. The passenger's side seems quite a bit taller than than the driver's side. But I thought the driver's side was also taller than the 510 unit.

Which ones should I get? Or should I go a different route all together? I swear there's a thread on here about this, but my search turns up a bunch of other stuff.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me ,,, I would plan to "go a different route altogether" ( make motor mounts/spacers/clearance things if practical )

while ,,,

I was looking for this option you speak of ! ,,, and if you do indeed find it ,,, call it a bonus !:D

(My Mentallity --- > Any motor swap in my head ,,, I automatically assume I must make motor mounts , tranny mount , etc .,,, )

The stock Mitsubishi Mighty Max/Dodge D50 motor mounts actually bolt directly up to the stock 510 rubber motor mounts and has a good mounting location. However, I'm just looking for a little more clearance. As it is, part of the steering linkage hits my bell housing at full lock. I can remedy that with simply adjusting the steering stop. Or I can see if another half inch or so of clearance with motor mounts will help. I was planning to get new mounts as it is since I don't trust 40 year old rubber mounts much.

The only custom mounts I have to make are reversing the crossmember and a new transmission mount. The stock 510 trans mount is actually really close to working, but I needed something more beefy and that would bolt up properly.

Cool ! gotcha !

Can you possibly make a "Spacer" Block (machined or drilled) for the motor mount to shim off 1/2" off the drivers side ,,, so the steering linkage does not touch the bellhousing ? ( I wouldn't know what the mounts look like as I am not 510 guy ) ,,, 1/2" is pretty small ,,, but I do know that it can indeed help greatly at times !

How close is "Really close to working" on the stock 510 transmission mount ?? 1" off center of mounting holes ? 1/16" of an inch ? Transmission cross members are not to bad to make ,,, if it works or close enough ,,, just reinforce your existing trans mount ,,, and be done with it ! Trans cross-members are not to bad to make either way.

If you must ,,, you can also look into doing multiple steering 'u-joints" to change the angle of the steering components for clearances ,,, although ,,, I would look at your other options first if it were me :)

Do you have pictures of the oil pan and steering clearance troubles ? maybe someone with some pro swap advice can chime in faster if you do ! I personally don't know the placement of the oil pan ,,, or shape ,,, size ,,, etc ,,,, steering trial fittings would be interesting to see !

If you have pictures on hand ,,, we can help you 10x faster ! ;)

Do you have a build thread ? if you do ,,, link it ! ,,, if you don't ,,, start taking pictures , measurements , angles , pros/cons of what you're doing so everyone else can learn/help

I received my 620 motor mounts today. Both are the same height, but one has an extra piece that kinda wraps around the top section. I believe this one is listed as the passenger side mount. In all the pictures I have seen, it is the one that appears to be larger and usually costs more. I haven't measured them against the 510 mounts, but I will do that tomorrow for comparison and see what they do for my engine mounting position. I will report back my findings as soon as I can.

Ggzilla , dislexicdime, and myself have all done engine swaps ... all three of us are saying to use a 1/2" spacer ... as you expressed that's about what you believed you needed previous posts in this thread.

I would again recommend this 1/2" spacer block,,, if your engine mount swap does not pan out,,, not sure why resistant , but its your choice friend as well as more power to you if you can acheive this through a bolt on application ...

Since your engine swap is less common ,,, would you be so kind to post some pics :of your concerns? Its the first rule of ratsun lolz

A build thread would bs greatly beneficial to those looking to do this swap in the future ;)

Got pic ?

For those interested in the build thread:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22528-4g63-510/

I will update some progress tomorrow. My goal with this build has been to be as much of a bolt-on solution as possible. I have taken way too much time to make everything as simple as possible. And this being my first full build, has taken way too long. But I refuse to cut corners now. So, if I can find a bolt-on solution for motor mounts, that's the way I want to go. We'll see if it works out.

For those interested in the build thread:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22528-4g63-510/

I will update some progress tomorrow. My goal with this build has been to be as much of a bolt-on solution as possible. I have taken way too much time to make everything as simple as possible. And this being my first full build, has taken way too long. But I refuse to cut corners now. So, if I can find a bolt-on solution for motor mounts, that's the way I want to go. We'll see if it works out.

Understandable and respectable ! Using Spacers isn't cutting corners haha

Awesome checking it out :thumbup:

Edit : subscribed ... neat build man!

I measured both motor mounts yesterday. The 620 units are about 51mm and the 510 units are 35mm. So just over 15mm or a little more than a half inch difference. This has helped with the clearance of the oil pan, but it's still a pain to put the motor and trans in together.

So, anyone looking to do this mod, it seems well worth it. Unless you need the extra material that the passenger side motor mount provides, just get two driver's side units. Also, there are some small round tabs cast into the surface of the front and back of the mounts. I assume this is for alignment purposes. My 510 mounts do not have the correct recess for the back side "lumps" and I do not need them for the front side. I simply ground off all 4 "lumps" and made them a flush mount surface.

I'll update my build thread with this info and some pics. Let me know if anyone needs pics of these mounts vs. the stock 510 mounts. Not much to look at.

• Like 1