411 SSS Steering wheel vibration

Datsun411SSS

Well it seems like my lower ball joints are on their way out... when i had the car aligned, they told me there was play and should replace them soon... i been driving it pretty often on the freeway and am getting vibration on my steering wheel.... Could this be a reason why? Im pretty sure my shocks are also blown as the car seems bouncy...

What do you guys think is the culprit to the vibrations?? If the lower ball joints, do anyone of you guys have a good used set for sale or know where i can get some from?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Rare Parts" manufactures new ball joints for the RL411. Buy from them. JCWhitney lists them with a markup as Right Lower - SKU 1JA580118 [mfg number 10210] $200.99/ Right lower - SKU 1JA580118 [mfg number 10210] also $200.99.

Ball joint boots can be had [in black, other colors available] from [www.suspension.com] Suspension Restoration Parts Co. 31916 Motor City Court, Modesto CA 95358. Black Part number 9-13119 $4 per pair, tie rod boots part number 9-13103 also $4 per pair. Not so coincidentally, thers also fit the MG series.

my tire guys say " if you feel the vibration in the wheel, its front end issues... if you feel it in the seat, its rear alignment or balance" have you rechecked the balance on the front tires? cheap thing to check before you go spend 400 on ball joints.

Some where in this heap of responses I list the part numbers for Sears life time guarantee shocks, gas charged. Front and rear. Have them on my RL411 and they are perfect. Shocks may well be your problem.

Yea i have seen the thread where you mentioned the part numbers, I will ask my brother for prices as he works at the Sears auto center.

Its most likely bad tire balance. Bad ball joints would cause sudden pulls and sorts. Same thing with tie rods and such. warped rotors would vibrate mostly when braking. Bad shocks might cause the tire to ”hop” at higher speeds. My money is on bad tire balance.

Its most likely bad tire balance. Bad ball joints would cause sudden pulls and sorts. Same thing with tie rods and such. warped rotors would vibrate mostly when braking. Bad shocks might cause the tire to ”hop” at higher speeds. My money is on bad tire balance.

warped rotors can do vibrations straight through as well ! it's rare ,,, but it happens when bad enough ! cheap wheel spacers ,,,, do no good as well !

I agree with the rest ,,,

warped rotors can do vibrations straight through as well ! it's rare ,,, but it happens when bad enough ! cheap wheel spacers ,,,, do no good as well ! I agree with the rest ,,,

True but he would be experiancing severe vibrations during braking. Last I drove the car, it didnt have a pulsating brake pedal. Possible though...