4G63 swap???

i want to do a swap on my 1979 B310. i recently started thinking of puttin in a mitsubishi 4G63 out of an 93-98 eclipse turbo. i think it would be cheaper than a sr20det and make about the same power. also, it is a USDM car, making it easier to find.

i looked around and saw many people have turnde this engine and made it into RWD. if i go this route, fabrication would not be an issue.

what is your opinion on this?? please dont give me any crap about not keeping it nissan and blah blah blah. just asking for help here. thanks...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Google my brother- http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-general/176461-4g63-vs-sr20det-redtop.html

IMO Reliability > everything

Sr20 has a timing chain, the 4g has a belt, which is why I can find eclipses all day long with crushed valves.

Sr20s get big turbos and blow doors off. Eclipses get big turbos and blow head gaskets.

sr20 ~300 lbs 4g63 ~350

The 4g parts will be cheaper and easier to find.

Google my brother- http://forums.evolut...det-redtop.html

IMO Reliability > everything

Sr20 has a timing chain, the 4g has a belt, which is why I can find eclipses all day long with crushed valves.

Sr20s get big turbos and blow doors off. Eclipses get big turbos and blow head gaskets.

sr20 ~300 lbs 4g63 ~350

The 4g parts will be cheaper and easier to find.

dont know what you are trying to tell me. yeah the timing chain is better, but that is not the only thing affecting reliability. from the thread you can see most people think the 4g63 is more reliable.

by the way, i did google, and had already read that thread. just looking for some more opinions.

Both engines are capable of over 1000hp

I say it depends on the budget you are looking for. :D

Edit: I was trying to push the sr20. BTW that's a mitsubishi forum, of course they're gonna like the 4g. Ratsun is probably going to say the sr20. I suggest you copy your post and stick it on a a forum that's not specific to either make and get some unbiased answers, maybe.

Or flip a coin

at what power level is one engine more reliable than the other?

I was more of looking for a number. If you say 350hp, Im going to laugh. Not because it is hard to achieve, but because that is an interesting car to put that power in, and I like 210s

the reason i looked into the 4g63 is because i have seen RWD swaps in other cars- i would not be attempting anything new. also, it would seem that the sr20 is made out of gold because of the prices they are asking for them. in sotck form, both make about 200hp.

all i care about is that the car is fast and fun to drive. i could care less if the car is powered by a mitsu, nissan, toyota, or a mouse on a squirell cage.

or a mouse on a squirell cage.

wut

Maybe a squirrel on a hamster wheel. I love it, it's gonna take some serious gearing.

Not sure where in miss you are but the only sr20 I could find on craigslist there is near gulfport for 1300$ with trans

http://gulfport.craigslist.org/pts/2741714056.html

Regardless, put over 200hp in that car and it's gonna be fast. But then you gotta make it turn and stop with that kind of power. Mo Moneys

Doesn't the eclipse breakdown alot? Why would you want that l? It might be cheaper but In the long run it might equal the cost of a sr

From what I know the 4cyl eclipse isn't as bad as the 6cyl. The v6 is as reliable as a presidential promise. Almost as bad as a mazda 626 and ford probe v6. But yeah so what if the sr parts are more expensive, you get what you pay for.

Doesn't the eclipse breakdown alot? Why would you want that l? It might be cheaper but In the long run it might equal the cost of a sr

from what i have seen and read, the 4g63 is almost bullet proof. dont know where you got your info

It oughta be bulletproof, it was designed in the 1970s, has a heavy casting, and looks a little like a tractor motor. It may be a good motor, but it's not a beautiful one like the SR or CA18DE engines.

You might also consider Toyota engines. The ones designed in the 80s are light and powerful, even their 2nd gen straight sixes are very small yet powerful and would fit in a B310.

what is your opinion on this??

I wonder if anyone likes the 4G63 as a swap?

> i think it would be cheaper than a sr20det

The SR20DET in stock form is not expensive. And you can buy them all over the US, from engine importers.