Distributor problems please help me

DattoDime70

Datzenmike touched on the ground wire....let me emphasize that you really should run a dedicated ground wire from the dizzy body to a good body or battery ground!! Do not trust the ground to be good through the timing cover. I know of at least 3 other people, plus my own rigs have had similar problems without the ground wire.

If it does the "cutting out/dieing" again....take a 14ga or thicker wire and run it straight from the battery positive terminal to the battery connection(+) on the coil. Assuming your (+)coil wire connects directly to the dizzy as well, this jumper will provide uninterrupted power to both...this will help eliminate a faulty ignition switch, wiring harness....etc. You must have the dedicated ground wire as described above. If it still cuts out, it is fuel related. Keep in mind when running this jumper wire that it is a "hot" wire!!!! Make sure that it can not become disconnected from the coil or battery while driving. If it pops off either end, it can short to ground and cause a fire.

If fuel related, you may have a floater in your tank that takes awhile to get sucked up to the pickup tube. Possibly debris in the carb doing the same thing.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Datzenmike touched on the ground wire....let me emphasize that you really should run a dedicated ground wire from the dizzy body to a good body or battery ground!! Do not trust the ground to be good through the timing cover. I know of at least 3 other people, plus my own rigs have had similar problems without the ground wire.

If it does the "cutting out/dieing" again....take a 14ga or thicker wire and run it straight from the battery positive terminal to the battery connection(+) on the coil. Assuming your (+)coil wire connects directly to the dizzy as well, this jumper will provide uninterrupted power to both...this will help eliminate a faulty ignition switch, wiring harness....etc. You must have the dedicated ground wire as described above. If it still cuts out, it is fuel related. Keep in mind when running this jumper wire that it is a "hot" wire!!!! Make sure that it can not become disconnected from the coil or battery while driving. If it pops off either end, it can short to ground and cause a fire.

If fuel related, you may have a floater in your tank that takes awhile to get sucked up to the pickup tube. Possibly debris in the carb doing the same thing.

where should I attach the ground cable of the ground on the dizzy body? I see a like a screw/bolt attached to the legt side of the case of the timing? Do you a composite of where it should go?

It only needs to be about 14ga wire....shouldn't need 10ga. There's a screw on the top that holds the vac advance in....that will work...there's usually a male spade terminal tab mounted there already.

You can see the brass terminal in this pic.

DCP_6752.jpg

I am not sure if the Black/white has power while starting

That depends on the ignition switch. Orignal ones did not, but later ones did. It may have been changed at one time. But in any case, wire both like was said, then no worries.

Regarding fuel problems, have you done the two fuel system tests? Even with a new pump there could still be a problem. See Datsun fuel pump pressure test. The specs there also work with the L20B.