Speedometer conversion

Mista510

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mista510:

My 320 has a dogleg five speed with mechanical drive. I wanted to convert to a electronic programable Smith sppedo. I discovered that Datsun/toyota/Subaru WRX are all Japanese thread speedo drives. With help I figured out two ways to do this:

Go to Rallylights.com and contact Ray. In their Terra Catalog they offer a Japanese thread speedo sensor. This is something they sell for full-on rallyists who want to install Terra rally computers into their WRX Subies. Anyway, this unit is inexpensive and generates two pulses per 1,000 rpms. Again, talk to Ray. Nice dude and he is a walking encyclopedia.

I chose to go another way, because I wanted to have an electronic speed sensor that sent out 8 pulses per 1,000 rpms, which my Smiths gauge expert said would work "For sure" with Smiths programmable speedo. The Terra method might have also worked, I just chose not to go there.

I contacted GaugeGuys.com back east and talked to "Chuck" who made me a special 18" long speedo cable with Japanese fitting off the transmission side, and a standard USA style 5/8 speedo fitting on the other end. This allowed a gentle bend of the speedo cable out of the way of the transmission, and let me attach a electronic speed sensor I bought from Chuck on the "gauge" end. If you look in the 320 section you'll find some pics.

I have this all hooked up, but to be honest I still need to calibrate this programmable speedo. I had to contact Chuck again for directions after I hooked up the ground wire from the ESS incorrectly. Just haven't crawled under there to swap wires yet. Don't make a cable up that is too short, or you'll end up with binding and added drag. Hope this helps.

OR do like DatsunMike says and glue a magnet on the driveshaft and adapt your ESS pickup that way. My trans is the 63w variety.