L18 help

NCLNDYM

Looking to upgrade my stock L16, picked up a L18 with W53 head, has U20 cam with c stamp, D411-88 dizzy, polished valve and thermo housing. Overall the engine is very clean. Just want input to make sure im really doin the right thing. I have an L20B block, A87 peanut closed head thats totally disassembled. The L18 was impulse buy at the time. Should i go with L20B or what...Not real knowledgeable about the engines. I really like the original look and sound of the 510. Just want a good motor with some power to screw around in and get me around thats dependable. Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

Roc

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What carb do you have? Your current one will probably be better suited on the L18 because of its current jetting, but that is not difficult to change on a weber.

Did you get a flywheel with the L20b? L20b's have 6 bolt cranks. L16 and L18 share the 5 bolt crank.

Between the 2 motors, and hearing people talk about them, personally I like the L18 more. L20's are great, especially if you build them. Which I think you should do. Swapping motors is easy in these cars. Put the L18 in and build the L20b (unless of course you want a newer motor like a KA or SR...)

L18 is a direct fit as its a 5 bolt flywheel 200mm. use same clutch set up.

L20s come with a 200mm or a 225mm if from a truck.

If you know what L20 parts you have I would pick the L20 myself but do you have a 200mm flywheel? If yes then you use the same T/O bearing and collar.

If you have a truck 225mm flywheel youll need to buy a 620 clutchset and find a 620 T/O bearing carrier.Very Important.

L18 is a direct fit as its a 5 bolt flywheel 200mm. use same clutch set up.

L20s come with a 200mm or a 225mm if from a truck.

If you know what L20 parts you have I would pick the L20 myself but do you have a 200mm flywheel? If yes then you use the same T/O bearing and collar.

If you have a truck 225mm flywheel youll need to buy a 620 clutchset and find a 620 T/O bearing carrier.Very Important.

What carb do you have? Your current one will probably be better suited on the L18 because of its current jetting, but that is not difficult to change on a weber.

Did you get a flywheel with the L20b? L20b's have 6 bolt cranks. L16 and L18 share the 5 bolt crank.

Between the 2 motors, and hearing people talk about them, personally I like the L18 more. L20's are great, especially if you build them. Which I think you should do. Swapping motors is easy in these cars. Put the L18 in and build the L20b (unless of course you want a newer motor like a KA or SR...)

No flywheel came with the L20. Only have the stock L16 carb but the secondaries aren't working. Been looking for some su's

Looking to upgrade my stock L16, picked up a L18 with W53 head, has U20 cam with c stamp, D411-88 dizzy, polished valve and thermo housing. Overall the engine is very clean. Just want input to make sure im really doin the right thing. I have an L20B block, A87 peanut closed head thats totally disassembled. The L18 was impulse buy at the time. Should i go with L20B or what...Not real knowledgeable about the engines. I really like the original look and sound of the 510. Just want a good motor with some power to screw around in and get me around thats dependable. Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

Roc

If the L18 is complete and ready to use then by all means go for it. All your L16 stuff will fit and the L18 will fit where it was. Never hurts to try it out and see if it runs ok and you can always collect the parts you will need to put an L20B together. As for the 'original look' you won't be able to tell the difference between an L16/L18 or and L20B (it's all internal parts differences) when it's in the car so don't worry.

You say the secondary is stuck? How do you know this? Try poking it loose with a wooden stick, can't be too hard to get going.

If the L18 is complete and ready to use then by all means go for it. All your L16 stuff will fit and the L18 will fit where it was. Never hurts to try it out and see if it runs ok and you can always collect the parts you will need to put an L20B together. As for the 'original look' you won't be able to tell the difference between an L16/L18 or and L20B (it's all internal parts differences) when it's in the car so don't worry.

You say the secondary is stuck? How do you know this? Try poking it loose with a wooden stick, can't be too hard to get going.

When i was talking to a friend who is a mechanic he noticed the secondaries on the carb were totally clean. the other chamber was dirty from use and the other clean as a whistle