L20b oil pump

620fever

Ok guys so I'm getting ready to put my motor back together looks clean and ready, I have a few questions. I realized my gasket kit didn't come with an oil pump gasket, and I've called several auto parts stores who tell me to just use RTV. Do you guys think this is sound advice or should I just order a gasket online? Also when I removed my front cover I saw a chip around one bolt hole, I realized after watching Hainz's video I prolly beat on it a little too hard. Do you think putting a little rtv around this chip would work or should I try to locate another front cover? I'll post some picture today so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys so I'm getting ready to put my motor back together looks clean and ready, I have a few questions. I realized my gasket kit didn't come with an oil pump gasket, and I've called several auto parts stores who tell me to just use RTV. Do you guys think this is sound advice or should I just order a gasket online? Also when I removed my front cover I saw a chip around one bolt hole, I realized after watching Hainz's video I prolly beat on it a little too hard. Do you think putting a little rtv around this chip would work or should I try to locate another front cover? I'll post some picture today so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Just imagine a chunk of that RTV getting into the pump or the oil gallery. Likely the filter would grab it but.... telling you to use RTV is so chevy it's scary. Never use that shit on a motor.... well it's totally ok for a 305.

BTW, did you replace the old pump with a high volume output pump from a Z24i or KA24E or DE from a Hardbody???????

Yeah definitely gonna prime the pump with oil, good advice. I'm just using the stock oil pump. I ordered a gasket so I'm going to wait for it, I figured a got a lot of work before installing the pump anyway so whats the point. I'm still concerned about this front cover though tell me what you guys think. Also posted some oics of the head.

front%252520cover%2525202.jpgfront%252520cover.jpgunder%252520head.jpgexhaust%252520and%252520intake%252520ports.jpg