Which Head Should I Run?

Jewosh

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious now about the top of your block, did you drill the water coolant passages? This is my LZ23 engine build, I used a highly modified W53 head on it, with a stock cam, lots of torque, and the big valves help on the hiway.

http://community.rat...__fromsearch__1

Since you have a fresh rebuilt U67 head???, I would use it, the biggest drawback I see is the small intake ports on the head are not matched to the dual SU intake, I don't know how that will effect the engine, but you would have to take the head apart again to port it. In my opinion you do not want a closed chamber head, the pistons you are running will just bring the CR up so high, pump gas might not fix it.

This is my closed chamber head, see how the chamber hole isn't round.

DSCN0585.jpg

Yea I see the difference and why they call it a peanut head. Makes sense now.

The head that I have on there and all the work done to it is from the previous owner. From his other work on the car, he was more of a form over function sort of guy, with lots of things pieced together just well enough to work. This is the first time that I myself have broken into the motor.

The dilemma I have is that the new U67 appears to have smaller porting and combustion chamber so why not just rebuild the one that I have now with a bigger port and polish, big valves, and a mild cam and then find a way to sell the U67?

Thanks

I would not waste money on a 210 head, if that is what it is. It will never be as good as the other heads out there. But I am doubting that the old head is a 210 head at the moment, with the info I have from this thread. You need to figure out what the head is for sure, then decide what your going to do. All my heads are ported for the dual SU type manifold, as I like dual SUs a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long for the reply. With much research and comparison, I have found that the mystery head is.... an early 1600 M casting head with oversized valves, port and polish, and a few other modifications.

Now, as for the U67 I bought off of eBay, turns out its not quite as nice as it was made out to be. The valves are pretty sunk and both the bottom and top of the head look like they werent really resurfaced, but had a wire brush taken to them and polished shiny. There are a few other things not quite right too. I'm going to return it and find another head elsewhere, so if anyone knows of a u67 that either is rebuilt or needs rebuilding let me know!

Thanks and happy new year!