My datsun 510 SR20 project

myfastdat

I have started this post to share my adventure as I bring a datsun 510 with an SR20 swap to its full potential…on a budget ;) When I sold my stock 2dr 510 5 years ago I was never able to shake the desire to get another one, especially one with some real power. I had the urge to do a quick search for datsuns in my area, after watching transformers, and stumbled across this one. The price was way more than I could spend, but it was dropping. I decided what I thought it was worth and the guy seemed to be on the same page.

My father-in-law happened to be taking a trailer full of vintage motorcycles to Alabama which was right on the way. So like any smart person with 510 on the mind, I convinced him to leave on his 5hr trip that night at 9pm.

When we arrived the datsun was in way different shape than I imagined. When I was told I could drive it 3hrs home without problem, I did not picture a car where nothing electronic(gauges and lights) really worked…not to mention the rest of the build quality was unknown. I started to sense how overwhelmed he was with the project, which in turn made me overwhelmed. Then I made an offer (nowhere near our negotiated price) that I figured was worth trying the project and he accepted.

We then decided it was not road worthy so we needed to figure out how to fit it in our 24ft trailer that already had 6 or 7 bikes in it (on a navy base at 2am). I’m not sure if it was the gas fumes from the 510 that had a switch operated fuel pump or buyers’ remorse, but I was feeling a little sick at this point.

We finally got everything to fit but one motorcycle which was my ride home. Then after a few days the trailer was back and I got to drive the car for the first time…all buyers’ remorse was gone!

Now it’s up on stands and the project has begun. Wiring is getting cleaned up, gauges are being retro fitted, and everything is being gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Here are a few before shots:

fresh off the trailer

photo1.jpg

we had to put all the misc stuff inside the car

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

pipes031.jpg

pipes032.jpg

pipes033.jpg

CBRs032.jpg

We removed a TON of wiring, did some spot painting, relocated some stuff, and added a few gauges that all seem to work:

CBRs005.jpg

7.jpg

repair012.jpg

5.jpg

The car does have some really cool suspension, wheels, and brakes. I am waiting on a CAS right now because we grounded it by mistake and now it doesn't work. Once it's up an running I plan on doing a little bit of bodywork in some of the badly rusted areas, but I kinda like the whole look of the car. Let me know what you guys think.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic