knock/ticking 7MGE

Hey all, yesterday I started up my 92 toyota cressida and it started a rough idle and bad ticking/knocking noise from the valvetrain, it does not sound like rod knock.

The car has 135k miles, its been running strong for the past 2 years I did the whole top end gaskets/head gasket at 125k miles. The only problem is it burns/loses oil slowly but I keep it filled up, oil was changed less than 500 miles ago i changed from valvoline standard to the premium stuff.

The last time I drove the car was on sunday, I drove about 150 miles total with no problems. I never push this card when its cold, I barely get over 2500rpm before its completely warmed up.

This morning I started it up to try to get more info on it, it started up the same way really rough and ticking/knocking from the valvetrain. Not very loud but very noticeable, I warmed it up and revved it a little and it started going away, the idle smoothed out and the knock/ticking noise is mostly gone but still there is ticking coming from the valvetrain. These are non-adjustable valves .

Any ideas? Is it the cam bearings? valves? Should I start considering changing the motor? Thanks..

I'm not going to drive it until I know whats wrong. .

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no hydraulic lifters in a 7mge.

.The adjustment discs ( shims ) may be worn though . And replacing them is a MAJOR pain in the ass.They are like a Volkswagon you have to measure each gap then find a disc that is the right size to fit. sad.gif

And you better hope to hell that it isn`t your cam bearings because those are part of the head and NOT replaceable bearings ..You have to shave base of tower then re-bore to get correct size....again...sad.gif

I just started it up and its running perfectly... No knocking, smooth idle, like nothing happened.

Suggestions? Possibly just the start of future engine problems?

7MGTE is on my mind.

Do It!... lol... but make sure you have all ur plans in line before you jum,p into it..... so yeah...

Do It!... lol... but make sure you have all ur plans in line before you jum,p into it..... so yeah...

Yup, I will eventually but it seems to be running perfect now ... No abnormal noises. I'll just keep on babying it while its cold like I've been doing for the past 2 years.

I've always wanted a GTE 5spd in it flared crazy with negative offset rims ... maybe someday. For now it works well enough.

Messed-up alternator bolt? Various other idler bearings with play? Easy, but unfortunately know about these...

Noise was coming from the valve cover. Alt bolts are good. Idler bearing? I'll look into it.

Thanks for the help.

Did you have the cams off the head? I had the EXACT same kind of noise and found that i had to retorque the cam bearing cap bolts.

my 7m is same mileage as your and i use the oil for high mileage engines. those old brittle seals dont like high detergent oil.

one note of caution... the 7m's do NOT like to be low on oil. i had some scarring on the cam bearings from running it low once.

so keep that oil level up to max

Did you have the cams off the head? I had the EXACT same kind of noise and found that i had to retorque the cam bearing cap bolts.

my 7m is same mileage as your and i use the oil for high mileage engines. those old brittle seals dont like high detergent oil.

one note of caution... the 7m's do NOT like to be low on oil. i had some scarring on the cam bearings from running it low once.

so keep that oil level up to max

Yeah I pulled out the cams & re oiled them(probably should not have... kinda useless) when I did the HG. I'll check the torque, its been running perfect for the past few days I'd like to keep it that way.

I always keep mine full of oil, I don't let it get under 1/2 level on the dipstick if I can help it. Only time I ran LOWW on oil was 3000 mile trip to canada and back .. dipstick was an E when I got back.(stupid me forgot to check the oil levels during the trip... even though I BROUGHT oil with me ollz)

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@schassisowner, Hey I missed your reply, the cressida has still been running great ... Have not had another problem with it, runs strong, just hit 6400RPM this morning.

An update on the issue, I pulled off the valve covers and checked the cam bolts, one of em was very slightly loose, I tightened it and have not had any problems since.

Requested image of said cressida. This is from last year, it has not changed since then. Its dropped approximately 1" from stock.

Does 110 in 3rd uphill and keeps pulling in 4th...

IMG_20110826_075509.jpg