Wtb 280zx struts for my wagon

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a guy that sells bumpsteer spacers on e-bay for $50. the cheapest ones I have seen. if they are not listed there right now just wait and he will post more.and they are way cheaper than the cool looking tecnotoytuning ones @ $185.even if you don't get to the struts right away, try the spacers, they will help with the stock struts too.

Tryin to help the poor handling while lowering the car.

28ozx struts have been recommended so that's what im looking for. And bump stop spacers too.

Thx

The struts are pretty much equal except for the hydraulic valving of the dampers inside. A 280zx will have a different rate set for a heavier car and stiffer spring. As for the spring, the 280zx spring won't fit up inside the 510 strut tower so it will have to come off. You can use the 510 spring on the 280zx strut if you trim the lower spring perch off and swap the 510 perch on. This takes maybe 2 min to cut off with an angle grinder and is very easy to do. The next thing is to use the grinder to remove the bulge on the welds on the sides of the strut so that the 510 perch can slide freely up and down later to set and adjust the ride height. This takes 5-10 min and again is very easy to do. Now to be fair there are two ways to go from this point.

Expensive Way. buy some coil overs, $250- ? I don't know if there is an upper amount limit on these things, but they are adjustable and trick looking. The spring rate depends on what you like (you have to buy them) maybe 200 to 380 pounds. Try several till you decide what works for you.

Cheaper Way. Buy a pair of split collars for $10 each and slip on the strut tube, slide the 510 lower spring perch on, then the spring and top hat. Shove the spring and perch up tight and tighten the split collar an let the car down and check. With some work you can adjust the height. Not as easy as coil overs but once adjusted just how many times do you need to adjust it again anyway?? At this point the 280zx struts are about 1 1/2" shorter so you will drop at least that amount with stock springs OR Carefully trim one coil off and assemble as above. The stock 510 coil rate is about 85-95 pound/inch and is very similar to my 710 springs. I removed one coil and increased my rate to 150 or 50% increase. This also shortened the length 2-3 inches. Judicious cutting will drop the height but best of all increase the rate which resists travel on a lowered car.

Either way you go you may want to replace/improve the damping action of the tired 280zx struts. You car replace the 'shock' inside with specialty cartridges starting at about $80 a side?? OR Do like I did and empty out the 5W thin hydraulic oil and replace with much thicker 20W motorcycle fork oil. Under $20. This will really stiffen up the damping action for only $9 each.

So it's really the lowering of the center of gravity and stiffening of the springs and damping that really improves the ride/handling.

The 280zx (or Maxima struts which I have) also have the benefit of huge calipers and vented rotors... nice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.