SU carb queries

Sealik

Just got a set of 46mm SUs mounted on a Lynz D1600 manifold, originally from Australia I believe.

After looking at it....I've came to the conclusion that is suited for a engine that sits more upright.

Roadster?

P1010032-1.jpg

SU1.jpg

SU2.jpg

As compared to the K14 manifold in foreground...angle of SUs to engine.

Add another 8-10 degrees to the SUs/manifolds, to mount to the L20 engine..... relative to how they are sitting now.

Too much lean for SUs to function properly?????

Looks like the float bowl/chamber has been pivoted to compensate for lean, the float bowl on my other SUs is sitting at the same angle as the dome/piston chamber

P1010034-1.jpg

Intake runners are a lot smaller than the K14...would be a whack of grinding to enlarge it for an L20 engine

P1010035-1.jpg

Looks like it had 42s (+) on the mani at one time, that is a 46mm insulator...same size as SUs

P1010036-1.jpg

Thoughts???

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are tilted a lot in my formar L320 A block truck.

DSCF0018.jpg

Looks like your SUs are tilted the same as my SUs...relative to the manifolds that is.

Also looks like your engine is sitting up right (?), whereas my engine will be leaning about 11 degrees, resulting in a more 'severe' angle on my SUs.

Wayneo is right-o. The carbs are supposed to tilt. The fuel bowls should be more or less level.

The Lynx D1600 is specifically for the L16, which is a slant four.

Yeah....I figured the bowls should be somewhat level... :D

I noticed the intake flange casting has been machined down to the same width as an L exhaust mani, which makes me wonder if it was actually from an L engine.

Difference between L and Roadster manifolds?

Bottom right in pic.

SUroadster.jpg

Was wondering how the float bowls 'pivoted'....actually they don't.

There is a rubber grommet with a notch in it, and a corresponding one (tab) cast into the side of the SU

As seen where screwdriver is pointing, these are positioned to have fuel bowl upright, same angle as 'round top'

SU11.jpg

IF you flip them, from 1 SU to another.....you get the float bowl to sit slightly askew to round top, for different applications, as in the Lynx mani

SU22.jpg

Also rotated the top of the float bowl so the float pivots from the engine side, as noticed in all SU pics I've seen

Will now sit level on the L6 mani

SU55.jpg