Random idle drop and spudder (spitting out the carb)

jdmdime

Ive been messing with a friend's 510 wagon trying to get it road worthy. It starts up fine. After idling for a min or two the idle drops to the point that it stalls. If I feather the throttle to keep it running it spits out the carb and struggles to recover from the idle drop. Once I get it to rev up it idles fine for a few mins then the cycle starts over. Also getting it to start moving is a pain. It spits out the carb unless I rev it up and slip the clutch. I know I should just throw the hitachi out the window and get a 32/36 but its not my car and the owner doesnt have funds to replace the carb right now. To me it sounds like a vacuum leak. What do you think?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That carb is garbage lol..

Indeed...

All carbs are garbage when not working. The Hitachi is perfect for what it does and when working is a nice compromise between economy and performance but is now about 40 years old and been through 8 owners and enough air to blow up a balloon the size of the moon. The 32/36 is about 1/3 the complexity and much larger.

Seems like a lean backfire which would not be apparent when the choke is on. Probably a blockage in the primary jet, maybe water in the bottom of the bowl.

maybe your needle vavle seat took a crap....maybe carb needs a rebuilt..the reason why I said needle valve seat was that my carb was doing that like 6 mos., checked for vacuum leaks, OK, checked ignition, OK, adjusted carb, OK, called Pierce Manifold in Gilroy, CA and they said check the needle valve seat..when this goes South, you'll flood the secondary..then have a hard time starting, adjusting because it's letting in gas when it's not supposed to. Good luck and let us know what happened.