axle seal - advice please?

zed

The leaking axle seal on my Hardbody / D21 has been getting worse, leaking oil onto the drum and brake shoes. So today I finally got to remove the side-shaft. Sorry for the lousy cellphone picture.

The side-shaft came out surprisingly easily, with a crude slide-hammer. What’s worrying me is how do I get the new seal into the axle housing? As you can see, there is no clearance between the hub and the bearings, which are pressed onto the axle shaft. Surely I don’t just tap on the hub? There is a plate between the seal and the hub, which bolts onto a flange on the axle housing – can I perhaps evenly tighten up the bolts and hope that the plate will press the seal evenly into the axle housing? Any advice appreciated – I’m stranded without this truck

6326532492_056daf4b7f.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the oil seal that fits into the axle tube once you pull the axle out. The old one can be pried out with a screwdriver and the new one tapped into the axle tube with a hammer to get it started then place a block of wood over it and hammer it home. It is a snug fit but it has to be, to seal the oil in. The rubber lips of the seal should have a little grease wiped on them so the axle doesn't run dry on it at start up. Hope his helps, wish you had a better picture.

Here’s a better picture. Pencil points to the seal. The seal is put onto the axle shaft when the new bearing is pressed on - no way to remove it and install it in the axle tube separate from the axle shaft. Notice there is no way to get to the seal to tap it into the axle housing - like you would with a timing cover seal or crankshaft seal.

I’m thinking the only way to get the seal into the axle tube is to line it up as straight as possible against the axle tube, with some grease on the edges, then bolt the plate behind it (with the 4 bolt holes) up to the axle, and hope the plate pushes the seal in straight. Has anyone done this job before?

6332254574_b9ebe6a153.jpg

P1030480

Zed

Most people just replace the outer seal as Mike mentioned on the drive shaft tube.

The inner seal you need to pry off the bearing ect (pain in the ass)

I would just replace the outer seal and see that happens.

It stop my leaks on my 521 truck as I too was worried about the inner seal But figure a little more oil on them wont hurt them.

find a axle seal with the double lip, as I have seen single lip ones.

I have done 2 seals.

I install the seal as Mike said then I insert the axle strait as possible w/o resting it on the seal to much and line the splines up and bolt it in. I didnt do the inner seal cause I heard if the bearing isnt on exactly at the same spot as before you might need shims to correctly get the axle deapth correct.

I said "Fuck it" and just did the outer seal and see what happens

Mike: no - there is only one seal on the axle - the one which you see in the pic. No grease - the bearing must be lubricated by the oil in the differential, by slinger or something. The seal has to be installed with the axle shaft - they can't be seperated. Seems like a pretty poor design to me. My Toyota Land cruiser axles are much easier to work on - the seal goes into the end of the axle tube, and the axle shaft is passed through it, to engage with the differential gears.

There should be a seal just inside the axle tube and will seal against that surface just to the left of the taper roller bearing. In the picture below the outer race for the roller bearing is where the grease is

Pathfinder--D-21conversion010Large.jpg

The oil seal keeps the diff oil from contaminating the roller bearing. Your bearing looks awfully clean of grease.

Yeah the above can't be right. My FSM shows an oil seal in the axle hole. The oil level isn't high enough to lube the wheel bearing on level pavement... it would burn out. Has to be greased and a seal to keep the diff oil out.

Here’s a better picture. Pencil points to the seal. The seal is put onto the axle shaft when the new bearing is pressed on - no way to remove it and install it in the axle tube separate from the axle shaft. Notice there is no way to get to the seal to tap it into the axle housing - like you would with a timing cover seal or crankshaft seal.

I’m thinking the only way to get the seal into the axle tube is to line it up as straight as possible against the axle tube, with some grease on the edges, then bolt the plate behind it (with the 4 bolt holes) up to the axle, and hope the plate pushes the seal in straight. Has anyone done this job before?

6332254574_b9ebe6a153.jpg

P1030480

That looks like a Ford 9" axle !

5 lugs ?

On that axle Ford or not the bearing is pressed off, seal changed and a new bearing installed.

Here is the axle going back in last night – with a new bearing and seal. I just positioned the seal square against the axle tube, and slowly tightened the bolts on the plate – pushed the seal and bearing into the axle. I hope it went in right. Will take it for a test run this afternoon after work

Thanks for all the advice here

6349942204_1192f05ffd.jpg

6349942214_0156f8cba5.jpg