521 door panel re-do

Guest roseyroseyrose

Guest roseyroseyrose

i just started the door panels and im still having problems finding the trim clips that will work......im headed to panchos auto upholstery as soon as the mechanic wakes up.....i also hav to get some windshield wipers cuz i missed an appt this morning cuz the old ones crumbled and i hadnt replaced them......but thats another thing altogether......

the door panel boards r in pretty bad shape, fragile and slightly warped, but being a fibre artist and having restored b4, im gonna giv it a try to recycle these boards and use em......

first im gonna make a template with the best one so in case i wreck them trying to save them i have the pattern i need to make new ones......

then im gonna wet the boards slightly and use a couple of cookie sheets weighted with big rocks to flatten them......if that works and they dont fall apart, im gonna get some posterboard and reinforce each side of each board using the heavy duty hi-temp(a gud idea for AZ) fast tack that i bot and see if that helps to bolster their integrity.......ill post some oics shortly, cuz im gonna go make the template and attempt the flattening right now......

here r the door panels in their unseemly state and the paper template i made just in case......one paper grocery bag is just the right size for this for the 521......if i need to replace the wood ill make a cardboard template from that.....

drpnl1-1.jpg

drpnl2.jpg

71521tmplt-1.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest roseyroseyrose

how did the door panels turn out?

i didnt finish them yet.....i got sidetracked by the ignition dealie, and my frend patrick says i need the carburetor rebuilt and the timing belt redone....or chain or whatever it is.......so, i might as well get back to the door panels while i save up$ to get the carb redone......

Guest roseyroseyrose

i thot i had posted more on this thread, but either got stoned and i missed it, or the universe wiped it for me......doesnt matter....

here it goes again........

i decided to recycle the original door panels, so the first step was to get them nice and flat......i used a small amount of water and some baking pans with heavy rocks to accomplish this......

i sprayed the panels with water, just lightly, on both sides first

drpnlspry1.png

then i just placed baking tins with heavy rocks in them on top and left them to dry for a few days.....

drpnlwt.png

• 1 year later...

Here are a couple of links, one for door panel fastener thingies and another link for that cardboard-like material they make door panels from.  I think it's called panelboard.  I've never used either website, but it's a resource if you wanted to buy that kind of thing.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Door_Trim_Panel_Clips_Retainers_s/268.htm

http://www.perfectfit.com/15347/154533/Chipboard-Car-Panelboard/Black-Treated-Waterproof-Panelboard.html

Edit:  Yea just noticed the date...you probably finished your door panels two years ago.  Well HEY, maybe it's time to make some new ones? 

Old thread, back to life.

Tap Plastics sells 1/8 ABS 4 by 8 sheets, that could be used for door panel material.  Being plastic, it should be more durable than the fiberboard Datsun used originally.  They quoted a price of $76.00 for a 4x8 sheet.

I too have been looking for new panel clips.  I tried several different ones, and I found some that I think will work good.  This is the clip I found.

2706clip_zps5e58dd3d.jpg

My local paint store had a "suitcase" of different clips, from W & E.  Their number for this clip is 2706. They were $10.02 for a box of 50.