Drummz to rotorrs

South califas

Well i got a 74 620 pickup thT ive had problems with the brake system.

Turns out this shoe system is a real pain in the neck to adjust an blead, anyways I had ran into in old schooler and had told me an old term said he had to.almost stand on the brake petal to get the brakes going. Now call me lazy but i really want some good breaking results should i get rotors instead i was at a wreking yrd and ran into wut looked like a 620 but with a extra cab 77 with disc calipers and A arm asembly can i just unbolt and bolt up???? Has anyone done this move yet ????

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I got a '74 620 pickup and I've had problems with the brake system.

Turns out this drum system is a real pain in the neck to adjust and bleed. Anyway, I ran into in old-schooler and he told me he had to stand on the brake pedal to get the brakes to stop the truck. Now, call me lazy, but I really want some good braking results. Should I get disc brakes instead? I was at a wrecking yard and ran into a '77 King-Cab with disc brakes and an A-arm assembly. Can I just unbolt this and install it on my truck? Has anyone done this swap yet?

To answer your question:

http://community.rat...um-brake-truck/

^Search. It's your friend.

To answer the other part of your question: I believe the front suspension and brakes you found on the '77 KC will not bolt up to your '74, because your truck is running kingpin suspension. Has someone done the swap? I'm sure, but I don't know of an example.

Someone who knows more about 620s, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Proofread. Google it if you have to.

:P

The 620 drum brakes are as good as the disc... when properly set up, but need to be checked and adjusted every couple of months. Disc brakes need no adjustment and the fronts do 85% of the stopping work so a lot less maintenance.

The later disc brakes will not 'bolt on' to the earlier trucks. Disc brakes were first used on the '78, so go back and check the year, if it is a '77 it may have been converted. If it was, it will have everything you need. Likely it was a '78 or '79. Check the driver's door tag for the build date. If after July '77 it's a '78 model year. (I proof read this)

Well, in that case. As others have said. If the other truck you found started life as a kingpin truck, you may have all the parts you need there. If not, I think the most economical thing to do would be to just rebuild the drums. Depending on how haggard the brake system is this could be just new shoes, fluid, and springs, and a trip to the lathe for the drums. Followed by a fluid flush and an adjustment. If the brakes are pretty haggard it could all of the above plus rebuilding/replacing wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Hopefully there're no leaks in the lines, if so, this could be a place for big gains in braking performance.

Well i got a 74 620 pickup thT ive had problems with the brake system.

Turns out this shoe system is a real pain in the neck to adjust an blead, anyways I had ran into in old schooler and had told me an old term said he had to.almost stand on the brake petal to get the brakes going. Now call me lazy but i really want some good breaking results should i get rotors instead i was at a wreking yrd and ran into wut looked like a 620 but with a extra cab 77 with disc calipers and A arm asembly can i just unbolt and bolt up???? Has anyone done this move yet ????

hey when i bought my 73 it had that set up and did not work at all i will give you all the parts if you want to try it

i replaced it back to the original and made the conversion to disk

now i am running wilwood set-up.

e-mail me at krecs1@hotmail.com

Actually it was built may of 76 so i mY get lucky.

Disc brakes were first used on the '78,

Well the reason for all this is so when i get surgery in a couple of months ill be out for about three months and i.need the wife to drive me around and if the brakes arent so good i dnt want to get into another acsident.

The 620 drum brakes are as good as the disc... when properly set up,

If your drums are in good shape and adjusted she will have no trouble.