coilover spring rates??

doughboi916

my buddy has new in the box GC coilovers for his honda he sold.. they are 2.5,8in... 2 are 250lbs and the other 2 are 380lbs.. how would the car handle with the 250s up front and the 380s in the back?? on a 4door 510? i see some people putting stiffer springs in the back and softer ones in the front and visa versa?? im looking to do mainly drag,occasional drift/autoX..

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason that you see people putting stiffer spring rates in the rear is that the motion ratio in the rear is much higher, so you need a higher spring rate to get an equivalent wheel rate. Drag, drift, and autocross pretty much all require different kinds of spring rates, but I think that a stiff-ish street setup would maybe be best overall.

Here, read these:

http://www.the510rea...0&view=previous <= Says that your selected fronts would be 185% increase vs. stock, and rears would be basically 0% increase, this will make your car handle like a... I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it would suck ALL the balls.

http://www.the510rea...=5068&view=next <=Recommends 250s in the front, you're good there, and 800s in the rear, which is only a 113% increase vs. stock, but this would be more balanced with the increase in front rate. Also, a bigger increase in front wheel rate might not be bad, because it may shift more weight transfer forward, now I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, not having tuned a 510 for the track

So basically, my answer is maybe get both, but both sets of springs will be for the front, and then pick up some stiffer springs for the rear. Then run both 250s and 350s to figure out what suits you/is fastest (and not just seat of the pants faster, because stiffer cars feel faster).

i have rab 225 on a street car on all four corners and liked it when you start getting closer to 300 and up you have to run r compound tires.

when they are talking about 800 pound springs they are talking about running springs in the stock location. When you run the coilovers you loos the 3 to 1 ratio that you have when the springs are in the stock location.

i have rab 225 on a street car on all four corners and liked it when you start getting closer to 300 and up you have to run r compound tires.

when they are talking about 800 pound springs they are talking about running springs in the stock location. When you run the coilovers you loos the 3 to 1 ratio that you have when the springs are in the stock location.

Right, wasn't thinking about that. I'm just pretty anti rear coilover (for most cars people don't do proper prep), so I wasn't thinking about that. If the OP does run rear coiolvers without beefing up his swingarms, he will probably break them, giving that he's going to be racing it, and probably driving it hard on the street (assumption).

like i told you when we met...... i am running 350 in the fronts and rear ( coil over on all 4 corners ) i beat the turd out of my dime and no problems or breaks...... but it rides super stiff, like an evo 8.... so its not reccomended if you want a daily driver or take long trips,,, your back and ass will hurt without some comfy seats....... i would start with what you have, and see if you like it..... if you want to change,you can change your springs out.......oh and sway bars are your friend !!!! alot of it is personal preferrance..... i like my stiff ride, for comfort i drive my chrysler.. good luck

• 2 months later...

my buddy has new in the box GC coilovers for his honda he sold.. they are 2.5,8in... 2 are 250lbs and the other 2 are 380lbs.. how would the car handle with the 250s up front and the 380s in the back?? on a 4door 510? i see some people putting stiffer springs in the back and softer ones in the front and visa versa?? im looking to do mainly drag,occasional drift/autoX..

Your rear set up for drag racing will be different then for autox. If you go to stiff in the rear for drag racing your launch off the line will suck. Wheelspin is the enemy in drag racing.

Your rear set up for drag racing will be different then for autox. If you go to stiff in the rear for drag racing your launch off the line will suck. Wheelspin is the enemy in drag racing.

+1

380 lbs in the rear is way too stiff for a 510... and 250 front/380 rear is dumb for pretty much any RWD car. FWD cars need the stiffer springs in the back to get the rear to rotate. A RWD car with that kind of springrate will just want to spin any time you come near the throttle. Mid/rear engine cars may be different though.

I was recently running 225/236 lbs and it was fairly neutral... a little too much understeer for my tastes. I recently went up to 275 lbs up front, leaving the 236s in the rear and the front has quite a bit more grip. I have a set of springs that will put the rears at 290 lbs, but I'm not so sure I want to go that stiff now. I'll need to do an AutoX event or a track day and see how the car feels, particularly at corner exit.

EDIT: I don't have rear coilovers... I use 3" ID rear springs in the stock location. The springs I have right now (236 lbs wheel rate) are 900 lbs. The springs I haven't installed yet, are 1100 lbs, which is 290 lbs wheel rate.