L20B Timing Chain Cover

Nelsontr

Today I was taking the timing chain cover off of my L20B and as I began to remove the cover there was a piece that fell out that does not look like it belongs and I have not been able to find a spot for it or find it in the area in my Chilton. Any help identifying this would be much appreciated.

It looks to be a Hex 10mm with a nipple on one side. Would there be any spot in the area that would require something like this or is this most likely something that the previous guy dropped in and never fished out? While I have the attention of some of the L20B people, is there a reason that the bolts for the oil pan would be different lengths or is this again a surprise from the previous owner?

4ee01955.jpg

1f183d2c.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was probably a tool used to tighten the head bolts. Must of fell in. Never seen something like that in an L engine. The oil pan bolts are longer than others. The pan is supposed to have an L shapped washer that has like 6 holes for longer bolts.

If it says 10mm it's a head bolt wrench. One member removed his timing cover to find a huge chunk of wood. (well worn down) Someone forgot to remove the wooden wedge used to hold the timing chain when the head is removed. Lash pads are the next most common thing to find. Most KA motors have tensioner parts in the pan.