Identify this crossmember from a dogleg transmission

69dime

This crossmember came on a dogleg that was labeled "L18". Can anyone identify it and tell me where I can get one of the plates on the bottom that is missing around the bolt holes and the rubber (near the shoe in the bottom picture)? It looks like it will line up.

photo1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L18 was never used with a dogleg so this was written incorrectly or the motor was swapped in and who but a wrecking yard does this??? There were only 3 cars that used the FS5W63A dogleg and onlt two cars that had L series motors in them that an L18 could easily have been swapped. Those are the '77-'79 S10 and the '78-'81 A10, both with L20B motors.There are several vehicles that this transmission could have been swapped into that had stock L series motors (I leave out the trucks because they are frame mounts)... the 510/610/710. Of these only the 510 and 710 standards would take the dogleg without modifying the driveshaft. I have a 710 and can say with some confidence that that isn't a 710 mount.

So 510, A10 or S10 possibly.

The L18 was never used with a dogleg so this was written incorrectly or the motor was swapped in and who but a wrecking yard does this??? There were only 3 cars that used the FS5W63A dogleg and onlt two cars that had L series motors in them that an L18 could easily have been swapped. Those are the '77-'79 S10 and the '78-'81 A10, both with L20B motors.There are several vehicles that this transmission could have been swapped into that had stock L series motors (I leave out the trucks because they are frame mounts)... the 510/610/710. Of these only the 510 and 710 standards would take the dogleg without modifying the driveshaft. I have a 710 and can say with some confidence that that isn't a 710 mount.

So 510, A10 or S10 possibly.

Didn't the 510SSS come with an L18 and a dogleg? I know it's a longshot...

It's not a late 510 (A10) mount either. Could be an import. L18s and doglegs were used on something in Japan. 180SX Silvia (late 70s) I bet.

However, I've seen quite a number of trucks with dogleg swaps recently. Seems to be pretty popular with '74s for some reason though it takes way too much effort when a regular 71-series bolts right in. But then again, I've got one of those doglegged '74s (got it that way).