Ambient TO Bearing Pressure

atkinson40

There seems to be some ambient pressure on my TO bearing against the pressure plate fingers even though I don't have the clutch engaged. I have slop in the peddle rod of about an inch before it engages the rod in the clutch cylinder, but on the slave the rod is being pushed out and keeping a slight pressure on the arm and hence TO bearing against the pressure plate fingers. I remember seeing a rigged spring on this site somewhere to completely disengage the TO bearing from the fingers. Is this a known and accepted way of fixing this? Thanks Kevin

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

inch at the top dont sound right. should have just a little at the top

the lower slave on a 72 I believe is adjustable at the T/O arm fork. there is a half moon ball end on a threaded shaft that goes thru the hole(most 4 speeds) It will have a jam nut also. I believe they are 12mm size

I say give this about 1/16 to 1/8 play at the slave cylinder.

PS try opening up the slave bleed and see if the clutch fork moves more if pressure is released.

rockauto.com has photos of the slave you can see whats usually in there.

UNLESS you got a different slave rod length from another vehicle

Thanks B.

My rod is not adjustable. I couldn't find the slave on rockauto.com. I bought the slave new at Autozone and it didn't have an adjustable rod. Nor did the old one that I took out to replace.

I do remember 20 years ago the 620 I had did have an adjustable slave rod, but this one didn't when I bought it. Maybe swapped out by PO, but then why doesn't the new AZ slave have an adjustable slave?

I do remember going to the JY and finding a longer rod because the one that came with the new slave I bought at AZ didn't seem to be disengaging the clutch and there seemed to be too much slop between the slave rod and TO arm.

I'll try your fluid release test, adjust the clutch peddle slop and see if I can find the old rod and put it in. -K

atkinson40

does your fork have a hole which the treaded rod goes thru like the photo above daniel posted?

If not you have a 5 speed type fork. and a rod that goes in the slave. Which I believe is correct for that type sytem.

Only thing I can suggest is bleed the system or just open the bleed screw while under there and see if it releases pressure or maybe eveb remove the slave to see what your Fork arm is doing. If its fully fwd when the slave is removed then thats it. Thats where it rests.

I heard of people sizing the slave threaded rod(your might not be threaded) to make it fit.

atkinson40

does your fork have a hole which the treaded rod goes thru like the photo above daniel posted?

If not you have a 5 speed type fork. and a rod that goes in the slave. Which I believe is correct for that type sytem.

Only thing I can suggest is bleed the system or just open the bleed screw while under there and see if it releases pressure or maybe eveb remove the slave to see what your Fork arm is doing. If its fully fwd when the slave is removed then thats it. Thats where it rests.

I heard of people sizing the slave threaded rod(your might not be threaded) to make it fit.

My fork does not have a threaded rod/hole, but it's a 4 speed. I think I'm going to need to size the rod. -Kevin