My 3rd Datto, my yellow 620.

OK, so as i am finally starting to crack into this poor little 620, i figured i'd make a thread to bookmark my progress. It will be a LONG road as we don't have disposable income for wasting on old pickup trucks. My intial list of things to do is simple:

Step 1:

Have gas tank cleaned out and coated.

Rebuild Hitachi carb.

Install pertronix conversion kit in distributor and new coil.

Replace all fluids, and majority of hoses.

this should get the truck running so i can diagnose any other problems, i.e. trans or internal engine issues.

Step 2 is the roadworthy stuff.

Reinstall seat, install aftermarket tach.

Sandblast and paint wheels, install 4 new tires.

Figure out brake problem. I'll probably just go ahead and replace all 4 wheel cylinders, all shoes and master cylinder.

Replace windshield and trim! With this thing being this old, can i do this myself?

And lastly i'll replace the old ratty exhaust with something fresh and clean.

Here are some initial pictures i took Sunday night of this beast:

101_0173.jpg

101_0172.jpg

101_0174.jpg

I need to find out what all is missing on this side of the engine. Alot of bracketry for not alot of items.

101_0175.jpg

Rusty cowl.

101_0176.jpg

Floorboards are not rusted through, but boy it feels thin right there.

101_0180.jpg

Currently have the air cleaner off and working on removing the carb.

101_0181.jpg

This seems to be common on these trucks.

101_0182.jpg

My little boy getting a headtstart on driving a truck he'll inherit.

And a picture of my daily:

101_0179.jpg

The story behind the truck is that it was a one owner truck, belonged to a guy i knows father-in-law. It smoked a little and finally the brakes went out so he parked it in a field near his house. An unknown amount of years went by, 5-6 i would guess seeing as it was last registered in '04, until the guy i know recieved it and gave it to another friend of mine who tinkered with it some and finally posted on fb that he'd let it go for $100. Seeing as how hes on the tail end of a 1 year tour in the desert, i paypal'd him $100 and went and got the truck with a dolly. I had no idea he had removed all that he had and painted the hood white and blue. Ugh. So here it is. At this point i've got the ass end on jackstands attempting to remove the gas tank. I work nights and am on for the next 4 nights leading into Saturday when we're throwing a Halloween party and then another 4 nights on so no idea when i'll get back at it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very upset with myself. I was trying to counteroffer on these as i made a lowball offer, and freaking ended up accidentily pressing accept offer. Ugh. There went the budget for functional parts for a little while.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250846225843?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_904wt_1185

otherwise i drained the gas out of the tank today and saw no rust or debris in the tank.. Odd, but i'm going to go ahead and finish removing the tank tomorrow and work on getting it coated.

I also noticed it has some kind of spacers on the front 2 spark plugs. I'm assuming these are something i've read about that are used to keep from fouling plugs due to oil in the cylinder. GREAAAATTTTT. The idea of a KA is sounding better and better, but i just love the old schoolness of the L16. Plus i've now purchased a rebuilt carb for it.

So today i got the gas tank out, took a look inside and it's not too terrible looking inside. Still going to clean it out and coat it. The guy at O'reillys where i bought some brake parts cleaner recommended something called redkote for coating the inside of the tank. He suggested letting some kerosene soak in there, possible with some marbles to knock any rust loose and then washing it out, drying and apllying this redcoat. Anybody else use this? I also picked up some wheels and tires for almost free and slapped them on to get an idea of black wheels with white letter tires on the truck. looks ok, but wheels and tires suck. No idea what the wheels came off of but the bore is bigger than the dattos!! Anyways heres some pics from todays excursions.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

If you need any parts, let me know. I have a 521 L16 Motor/4 speed trans that I don't need that are supposedly good and a bunch of other stuff too. 90% of my Datto crap is located in Statam, Ga, just west of Athens.

I am putting a 521 body on a 720 pickup(with a lot of other crap that you can see in my build thread) so I have a lot of spare parts from both trucks(I know neither is a 620, but lots of parts are generic to Datsun trucks.)

I like the wheels you put on the truck!