Flywheel Problems!

datrodder77

So I pulled a L18 with an auto tranny out of a 78 620, to put in my 77. Come to find out auto's don't have flywheels! So I've been trying to locate one with not very much luck. I tried one off a L20b which didn't work because mine is a 5 bolt and that was a 6. I bought one from a junkyard that turned out to be off a L16 and my clutch doesn't fit it. Does anybody even know if I can put a L20b 5 speed transmission to a L18? If so does anybody have the right flywheel I could buy?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I pulled a L18 with an auto tranny out of a 78 620, to put in my 77. Come to find out auto's don't have flywheels! So I've been trying to locate one with not very much luck. I tried one off a L20b which didn't work because mine is a 5 bolt and that was a 6. I bought one from a junkyard that turned out to be off a L16 and my clutch doesn't fit it. Does anybody even know if I can put a L20b 5 speed transmission to a L18? If so does anybody have the right flywheel I could buy?

I'll have one coming out of a 521~ just not sure when. I'm certain your time frame's closer than mine~ but you can keep me in mind for a "plan B" if you don't turn anything up...

Peace~

Scott

L18 with a 5-speed, yes, but you're going to need to change the clutch to the smaller L16/L18 (or Car L20B) size one (200mm) or find the somewhat rare 225mm clutch 5-bolt flywheel. Finding a 225mm 5-bolt flywheel is going to be a long process unless you happen to find someone sitting on one- it was a one year, one model flywheel. 1974 620.

I put a 280ZX 5-speed on my L18 in my '76 620, but I had to use a different throwout bearing collar. Used the one from a '74 620, I think. I used the small 200mm clutch.

Just buy a 200mm pressure plate and clutch disc and the release bearing collar to match.

For example a '77-'79 200sx

Disc............................................ 30100 S3100 (200mm diameter) $50

Pressure plate......................... 30210 K0400 (200mm diameter) $75

Bearing collar or sleeve......... 30501 K0401 $20

You can use these numbers to cross reference another source.

it was a one year, one model flywheel. 1974 620.

Lolz, so if someone happened to have an old auto tranny and all its trimmings sitting around this guy would be good to go with just the flywheel from it?

If this is true datrodder77 than PM me, i ripped the old autotraggic trans outta my 74 620 months ago and i believe i still have all the parts for it too :)

Negative. Forget the automatic.

As I see it, he has a '77 standard transmission.

Wants to swap an L18 motor into it but the L18 was an automatic and he would need a 5 bolt standard transmission flywheel for it.. The '77 he has is an L20B motor and the flywheel for it is 6 bolt and won't fit.

He got a 5 bolt L16 flywheel which will fit the L18 but it will only accept a 200mm clutch and pressure plate... the L20B one is 225mm.

Easiest thing is to get a 200mm clutch & pressure plate.